Force of a hinge on a hinged beam

In summary, the conversation is about finding the horizontal component of the force exerted by a hinge on a beam attached to a wall with a cable. The net force and net torque on the hinge must be zero for equilibrium. To find the magnitude of the force exerted by the beam on the hinge, one can use the formula √(Fx^2 + Fy^2). However, the length of the beam is not given, so it is best to first find the tension force in the cable by summing moments about the hinge. The beam's weight acts at the midpoint and the moment is equal to the force times the perpendicular distance. One should use cos instead of sin in their calculations.
Becca93
Homework Statement

A 26.6 kg beam is attached to a wall with a hinge and its far end is supported by a cable. The angle between the beam and the cable is 90°. If the beam is inclined at an angle of theta=13.3° with respect to horizontal, what is the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam? (Use the 'to the right' as + for the horizontal direction.)

Hint: The Net torque and the Net Force on the hinge must be zero since it is in equilibrium.

What is the magnitude of the force that the beam exerts on the hinge?

(Image attached)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already knew that the net force and net torque would be zero, so I set clockwise and counter clockwise torque equal to each other

τcw = τccw
Fdsinθ = Fdsinθ

And this is where I ran into trouble. Length of the beam is never given. I'm not really sure what angles to use where, and while I know that the force the beam exerts on the wall/hinge is equal and opposite to what the wall/hinge exerts on the beam, I'm not sure how to find it.

To find the magnitude of force in the second half of the problem, you would just take magnitude = √(Fx^2 + Fy^2), correct?

Any advice?

Attachments

• prob19a_beamhinge1.gif
    prob19a_beamhinge1.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,133
Physics news on Phys.org
It is best to first find the tension force in the cable by summing moments about the hinge.. the beams weight acts at midpoint and moment is force times perpendicular distance.. Your sohcahtoa is off. Try again.

PhanthomJay said:
It is best to first find the tension force in the cable by summing moments about the hinge.. the beams weight acts at midpoint and moment is force times perpendicular distance.. Your sohcahtoa is off. Try again.

Okay, I understand that I need to use cos instead of sin, but I still don't understand what to do without the length of the beam.

Sum moments of the forces about the hinge. aybe you don't need to know thw beam length.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and forces involved. In this case, we have a 26.6 kg beam attached to a wall with a hinge, supported by a cable, and inclined at an angle of 13.3° with respect to horizontal. The forces acting on the beam are the weight of the beam (mg), the tension in the cable (T), and the force exerted by the hinge on the beam (Fh).

To solve for the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge (Fhx), we can use the fact that the net torque and net force on the hinge must be zero in equilibrium. This means that the sum of the clockwise and counterclockwise torques must be equal, and the sum of the horizontal and vertical forces must be equal to zero.

Using the given angle of 90° between the beam and the cable, we can see that the horizontal component of the tension in the cable (Tx) is equal to the weight of the beam (mg). Therefore, we can write the following equations:

τcw = τccw
Fhdsin13.3° = mgdsin90°
Fh = mgcos13.3°

Setting this equal to the horizontal component of the tension, we get:
Fhx = Tx = mgcos13.3°

To find the magnitude of the force that the beam exerts on the hinge, we can use the fact that the force exerted by the hinge on the beam is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the beam on the hinge. Therefore, the magnitude of the force exerted by the beam on the hinge is also mgcos13.3°.

To summarize, in order to find the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam, we used the fact that the net torque and net force on the hinge must be zero in equilibrium. And to find the magnitude of the force exerted by the beam on the hinge, we used the fact that these two forces are equal and opposite.

1. What is a hinged beam?

A hinged beam is a structural element that consists of two or more rigid segments connected by a hinge, allowing rotation between the segments.

2. What is the force of a hinge on a hinged beam?

The force of a hinge on a hinged beam, also known as the reaction force, is the force exerted by the hinge on the beam to maintain its equilibrium and support the loads acting on it.

3. How is the force of a hinge on a hinged beam calculated?

The force of a hinge on a hinged beam is calculated using the principles of static equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a system must equal zero.

4. What factors affect the force of a hinge on a hinged beam?

The force of a hinge on a hinged beam is affected by the weight of the beam, the magnitude and direction of the applied loads, and the location and orientation of the hinge.

5. How does the force of a hinge on a hinged beam impact the overall stability of a structure?

The force of a hinge on a hinged beam plays a crucial role in maintaining the structural stability of a building or bridge. If the force is not properly calculated or distributed, it can lead to structural failure and collapse.