Learning Maths on Your Own: A Self-Teaching Journey

• Thread starter woundedtiger4
  • Start date
In summary: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to learn linear algebra depends on the specific goals and backgrounds of the individual learner. However, some resources that may be useful for someone starting out include Linear Algebra by Paul Stewart, Linear Algebra and Its Applications by Gilbert Strang, and Linear Algebra: A Concise Introduction by David W. McKean.
woundedtiger4
Hi all!
I am self teaching myself and due to no money plus time I can't join University, but I want to study maths on my own, therefore please guide me.
I have adapt a route calc1->calc2->calc3->differential equation->introductory linear algebra->introductory abstract algebra-> real analysis->measure theory->probability theory, so that I can study topics as stochastic process, brownian motiion etc. is this route sounds OK?
currently I am studying calc2 and I was wondering if I really need to study three dimensional spaces and/or vectors or not, does it not use only in computer graphics, physics etc sort of stuff?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, you absolutely need to study it. Things like partial derivatives, multiple integrals, PDE's have quite some application in stochastic processes.

think about what you are doing. you are studying science, the structure of our world. is the world at least three dimensional? does that answer your question?

woundedtiger4 said:
I have adapt a route calc1->calc2->calc3->differential equation->introductory linear algebra->introductory abstract algebra-> real analysis->measure theory->probability theory

Your question has already been answered. However, I would also suggest you do linear algebra before Calc 3 and ODEs.

Last edited:

Sankaku said:
You question has already been answered. However, I would also suggest you do linear algebra before Calc 3 and ODEs.

Ah yes, I missed that. i definitely agree!

Sankaku said:
Your question has already been answered. However, I would also suggest you do linear algebra before Calc 3 and ODEs.

Thanks a tonne for the reply. I am studying Calculus at http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ and in calc 2 & 3 it covers some linear algebra such as "Vectors - Basics, Magnitude, Unit Vector, Arithmetic, Dot Product, Cross Product, Projection
Three Dimensional Coordinate System - Equations of Lines, Equations of Planes, Quadratic Surfaces, Functions of Multiple Variables, Vector Functions, Limits, Derivatives, and Integrals of Vector Functions, Tangent Vectors, Normal Vectors, Binormal Vectors, Curvature, Cylindrical Coordinates, Spherical Coordinates, Equations of Lines, Equations of Planes, Quadratic Surfaces, Functions of Multiple Variables, Vector Functions, Limits, Derivatives, and Integrals of Vector Functions, Tangent Vectors, Normal Vectors, Binormal Vectors, Curvature, Cylindrical Coordinates, Spherical Coordinates."
This webstie also offers a separate course on linear algebra and the highest level of this course is Euclidean n-space and Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.
Don't you think that I will cover sufficient linear algebra in Calc2 & 3 and therefore I will not need to study separate lin. algebra?

P.S. Actually Paul's notes are excellent but I don't know why I am not getting anything in three dimension (also I tried to read the lin algebra on his website but it's still going over my head :( ) therefore now I am studying these particular topics in the early transcendentals - calculus by James Stewart (chapter 12 & 13)

Last edited:

Calc II and III will definitely not be sufficient linear algebra background. And I agree with the previous posters. Do some linear algebra before ODE (and get some in before calc III if possible).

Broccoli21 said:
Calc II and III will definitely not be sufficient linear algebra background. And I agree with the previous posters. Do some linear algebra before ODE (and get some in before calc III if possible).

Thanks a tonne for your valuable advice. Hopefully, I will finish Calc2 by this week and then I will start calc3 along linear algebra. Can you please recommend any good book or website which takes the reader from beginner level to some upper level?

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of learning math on your own?

Learning math on your own can improve critical thinking skills, increase problem-solving abilities, and boost self-confidence. It also allows for personalized learning at your own pace and can be more cost-effective than traditional classroom learning.

2. How do I get started on my self-teaching journey in math?

Start by setting clear goals and objectives for what you want to learn. Then, gather resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Schedule regular study sessions and track your progress to stay motivated.

3. Are there any specific tips for learning math on your own?

Some helpful tips include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking out different perspectives and explanations, and actively practicing and applying concepts rather than just memorizing them.

4. What should I do if I get stuck or need help while learning math on my own?

It's important to have a support system or resources in place to help you when you encounter challenges. This could include online forums, virtual tutors, or study groups. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

5. Can I really learn math on my own without a teacher?

Yes, many people have successfully learned math on their own without a teacher. It may require more self-discipline and dedication, but with the right resources and approach, it is definitely possible to learn math on your own.