Amplitude Modulation equation help

In summary, Dylan wants to compare the outcomes of a carrier and modulator pair with another. He is able to recognize that the equation in the link was wrong, so he asks for help from someone to plug in numbers into a spreadsheet and graph the result.
dmorr
Hey everyone,

I am trying to understand the phenomena behind the technique of using amplitude modulation in sound synthesis. When you have two frequencies, for example, w1=200hz and w2=300hz, and you use the amplitude of one (w1) to modulate the amplitude of the other (w2), it creates 3 signals, one of which is the original carrier frequency, plus 2 others which are called the "sum" and "difference".

you can read more about it here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar00/articles/synthsecrets.htm

Anyways, to get the point here... the equation to explain this looks like this:

A1= a1cos(w1t)) + 1/2 [a2cos(w1+w2)t] + 1/2[a2cos(w1-w2)t]

so "1" is the carrier and "2" is the modulator frequency

A= instantaneous amplitude
a= maximum amplitude possible (just using an arbitrary unit here)
w= frequency
t= time

It's probably a basic trigonometry equation, but I haven't done trig since high school, and it's all a blur. What my goal is is to compare two sets of outcomes of data going through this equation. I just don't know how to do the math, so if someone could help me plug in these pairs of data into the equation, that would be awesome.

I want to compare the outcome of this carrier and modulator pair with another.

1. FIRST PAIR>> carrier: a1 = 100, w1= 100hz, t=3 seconds (also arbitrary)
modulator: a2 = 50, w2= 1hz, t =3

2. SECOND PAIR>> carrier: a1 = 100, w1= 100hz, t=3 seconds (also arbitrary)
modulator: a2 = 50, w2= 80hz, t =3

I would like to see what the instantaneous amplitude of the carriers would be in each cases, ideally it would be better if someone could just explain to me how to do the math, and then I could do a bunch of calculation myself.

Thank you so much if someone is able to help me.

dylan

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you drop these formulae into a spreadsheet and graph the result?
Btw, Eqn 4 at the link you provided is wrong. It's OK in Eqn 5.

haruspex said:
Why don't you drop these formulae into a spreadsheet and graph the result?

Because I don't know how to solve trigonometry problems. So even though I have the data and the equation, I am not able to plug in numbers into it and find the instantaneous amplitude of the carrier.

Since you were able to recognize that the equation in the link was wrong haruspex would you be able to put one of my pairs of data into the equation and show your work so I can do the rest on a spreadsheet graph myself?

cheers,

dmorr

I don't understand why you think you have to solve any trig.
Create cells for the constants, a1, aq2, w1, w2.
Create a column for time, the first being 0, the rest being "above cell + .01".
Put the formula in the next column, and away you go.

Btw, you don't need to use eqn 5. You can use the original eqn:
(a1 + a2.cos(w2.t)).cos(w1.t)
The point of eqn 5 is to reveal certain properties.

sweet, i will do that. thanks!

1. What is the equation for amplitude modulation?

The equation for amplitude modulation is: A(t) = Ac [1 + m(t)] cos(2πft), where A(t) is the modulated signal, Ac is the carrier amplitude, m(t) is the modulating signal, and f is the carrier frequency.

2. How do I calculate the modulation index?

The modulation index, also known as the depth of modulation, is calculated by dividing the amplitude of the modulating signal by the amplitude of the carrier signal. This can be represented as m = Am/Ac, where Am is the amplitude of the modulating signal and Ac is the amplitude of the carrier signal. The value of m should be between 0 and 1 for efficient modulation.

3. What is the purpose of the carrier signal in amplitude modulation?

The carrier signal is used in amplitude modulation to carry the information of the modulating signal. It acts as a carrier wave and its amplitude is varied based on the amplitude of the modulating signal, allowing the information to be transmitted through the carrier signal.

4. Can the modulation index be greater than 1?

Yes, the modulation index can be greater than 1, but it is not recommended as it can cause signal distortion and interference with other signals. A modulation index of 1 or less is preferred for efficient and reliable transmission.

5. How does amplitude modulation differ from frequency modulation?

Amplitude modulation and frequency modulation are two types of analog modulation techniques used in communication systems. In amplitude modulation, the amplitude of the carrier signal is varied to transmit information, while in frequency modulation, the frequency of the carrier signal is varied. Additionally, amplitude modulation is more susceptible to noise and interference compared to frequency modulation.