Length of the vector (electrostatic cylinder)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the speaker is confused about a hint given to them. They usually use the law of cosine to find the length of a vector, but the hint suggests using a different approach involving a square root. The speaker is unsure of the geometric reasoning behind this hint and questions if the law of cosine can still be used. The expert suggests using cylindrical coordinates and speculates that the hint may involve the radius of a charge element.
Blastrix91
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2816/unavngivettz.png

My problem is that I'm confused about a hint I was given in this problem. I usually use the law of cosine to find the length of [itex]\vec{r}-\vec{r'}[/itex]. But the hint here says that I should make it [itex][r^2 + (z - z_0)^2]^{1/2}[/itex]

Where does this come from? I can't quite get my head around the geometrical idea of this hint. Can't the law of cosine be used here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's really hard to answer these questions when you don't specify what any of the terms mean, so I can only guess at what r-r' even is. It looks like a Pythagoras approach to give you the hypotenuse of the triangle with sides r and z-z0.

How would you use the law of cosine, and what problem would using it solve?

I don't know how the hint is specifically formulated but I think the best way here is to use cylindrical coordinates.
It may be that r' is the cylindrical radius of the charge element.
The point P has r=0 and z=zo.

1. What is the length of the vector in an electrostatic cylinder?

The length of the vector in an electrostatic cylinder is the distance from the center of the cylinder to its edge or surface. It is a measure of the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a specific point.

2. How is the length of the vector calculated in an electrostatic cylinder?

The length of the vector in an electrostatic cylinder can be calculated using the equation E = Q/2πεr, where E is the electric field, Q is the charge of the cylinder, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. What factors affect the length of the vector in an electrostatic cylinder?

The length of the vector in an electrostatic cylinder is affected by the charge of the cylinder, the permittivity of the medium, and the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point where the electric field is being measured.

4. How does the length of the vector change as the distance from the center of the cylinder increases?

The length of the vector in an electrostatic cylinder decreases as the distance from the center of the cylinder increases. This is because the electric field weakens as the distance increases due to the inverse square law.

5. Can the length of the vector be negative in an electrostatic cylinder?

No, the length of the vector cannot be negative in an electrostatic cylinder. It is always a positive value as it represents the magnitude of the electric field at a specific point and cannot have a direction opposite to the field itself.