Calculations for sun position follower

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for formulas to calculate the position of the sun for a sun follower project. It is mentioned that knowing the azimuth and zenith angles is enough to track the sun from a given location, but it is also important to recognize when the sun has disappeared below the horizon. The accuracy of the formulas is also questioned, with a recommendation for a book on astronomical algorithms. The concept of Zodiac of Date and its relationship to the sun's position is also mentioned.
oportunity
HI

I'm making a sun follower with a pic, and I need the formulas to calculate the position of the sun, I need to calculate azimuth angle and zenith angle (Is that enough to know at any time the position of the sun?).

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
oportunity said:
HI

I'm making a sun follower with a pic, and I need the formulas to calculate the position of the sun, I need to calculate azimuth angle and zenith angle (Is that enough to know at any time the position of the sun?).

Thanks

That's enough to know how to point to the Sun from a given location. You would likely also want to recognize when the Sun has disappeared below the horizon so you don't try to track it through the body of the Earth; Instead, reposition for re-acquisition at sunrise and sleep 'till then.

How accurate a 'fix' are you looking for? Formulas with practical accuracies can be found in the book, "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus.

The Zodiac of Date follows the sun around. The Right Ascension and Declination of the Sun can be estimated from the RA and DEC of that Zodiac.

1. How do you calculate the position of the sun?

The position of the sun can be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the Earth's orbit and rotation. These formulas take into account the date, time, latitude, and longitude of the location in question.

2. What is the purpose of calculating sun position?

Calculating the sun's position is important for a variety of reasons, such as predicting sunrise and sunset times, determining the best location for solar panel placement, and understanding the effects of sunlight on plant growth.

3. What factors affect the position of the sun?

The position of the sun is affected by the Earth's rotation and orbit, as well as the tilt of its axis. Additionally, atmospheric conditions and the location of the observer on the Earth's surface can also impact the position of the sun.

4. How accurate are calculations for sun position?

The accuracy of calculations for sun position depends on the complexity of the model used and the precision of the input data. Generally, these calculations can provide accurate results within a few minutes of the actual position of the sun.

5. Can sun position calculations be used for any location on Earth?

Yes, sun position calculations can be used for any location on Earth as long as the necessary data, such as date, time, and location, are provided. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the distance from the equator and other factors.