Identifying the largest determining factor

• Thread starter SanDiegoMike
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in determining the largest determining factor for a collection of coins with various characteristics. They have limited statistical background and are looking for a methodology to analyze the data, preferably with a mathematical foundation. They have explored scatter plots and box-and-whisker plots, but have also been advised to use a scatter plot matrix and Sheskin's handbook for guidance.
SanDiegoMike
Identifying the "largest determining factor"

Hello,

This is not strictly a statistics forum, but I'm hoping you guys may have sufficient background to help me out. I'm an engineer by trade, so my stats background is poor and I have had not had much luck searching for the answer or asking colleagues.

I have a database, which is similar to the following example in which we list a collection of 'coins' of various values. These coins all have different characteristics, ie: year, color, size, shape, and weight. I would like to determine to what degree each of those characteristics are most likely to determine the coin's value. Or at the very least, determine which of the characteristics is most predominant. My searching has led me to analysis which requires some form of functional relationship between say 'shape' and 'value' such that correlation can be determined, but I don't know how I would convert shape (ie: circle, square, octagonal) into a variable. My colleagues have suggested scatter plots to identify relationships, but my data sets are huge, and I would prefer something with a mathematical foundation.

If anyone could point me in the correct direction with regards to the appropriate analysis methodology, that would be fantastic.

thanks,
-mike.

Physics news on Phys.org

SanDiegoMike said:
My colleagues have suggested scatter plots to identify relationships, but my data sets are huge, and I would prefer something with a mathematical foundation.

Data exploration is arguably the most important step of any data analysis methodology so I wouldn't discount visual tools just yet. Maybe start with a scatter plot matrix for the continuous variables and box-and-whisker plots for the categorical variables.

Try this reference for a start. You have categorical variables with more than two levels which can not be ranked (as in shape).

http://www.psychstat.missouristate.edu/multibook/mlt08m.html

See the example on faculty salary. Also try Sheskin's handbook.

1. What is the largest determining factor in a scientific experiment?

The largest determining factor in a scientific experiment is the independent variable. This is the variable that is purposely changed or manipulated by the scientist to observe its effect on the dependent variable.

2. How do you identify the largest determining factor in an experiment?

To identify the largest determining factor in an experiment, you must first determine the independent variable. This can be done by carefully reviewing the experiment's design and identifying the variable that is being purposely changed or manipulated.

3. Is the largest determining factor always the same in every experiment?

No, the largest determining factor can vary depending on the specific experiment being conducted. In some cases, the independent variable may have a larger impact on the outcome of the experiment, while in others, it may have a smaller impact compared to other factors.

4. How does the largest determining factor affect the validity of an experiment?

The largest determining factor can greatly affect the validity of an experiment. If the independent variable is not properly identified or controlled, it may lead to inaccurate or unreliable results. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and control the largest determining factor in an experiment.

5. Can the largest determining factor change during the course of an experiment?

Yes, it is possible for the largest determining factor to change during the course of an experiment. This can occur if new information or variables are discovered that may have a larger impact on the outcome of the experiment. Scientists must be prepared to adapt and adjust their experiment accordingly to account for any changes in the largest determining factor.