Confusion about length-tension relationship of muscle

In summary, the ideal resting length of muscle is not necessarily the most "relaxed" length although it's close. For the biceps of the arm, the length of the muscle from its origins in the shoulder area to its insertion in the radius of the forearm doesn't change that much between maximum flexion and maximum extension. That's because the insertion point is very close to the fulcrum of the system at the elbow joint. The insertion is just distal (toward the hand) to this joint on the radius bone of the forearm.
sodium.dioxid
I am trying to conceptually understand this relationship. One thing that's not helping is I keep hearing the phrase "the resting length" of muscle. It's using the word "THE" as if there is one resting length. This phrase implies that the length stays the same no matter how bent my elbow is at rest (if I use the bicep as an example). At rest, I would think the length is shorter if bring in my forearm towards my bicep versus if I straightened out my arm.

Biology news on Phys.org
sodium.dioxid said:
I am trying to conceptually understand this relationship. One thing that's not helping is I keep hearing the phrase "the resting length" of muscle. It's using the word "THE" as if there is one resting length. This phrase implies that the length stays the same no matter how bent my elbow is at rest (if I use the bicep as an example). At rest, I would think the length is shorter if bring in my forearm towards my bicep versus if I straightened out my arm.

The ideal resting length of muscle is the length from which it can develop its greatest isometric tension and it's not necessarily the most "relaxed" length although it's close. For the biceps of the arm, the length of the muscle from its origins in the shoulder area to its insertion in the radius of the forearm doesn't change that much between maximum flexion and maximum extension. That's because the insertion point is very close to the fulcrum of the system at the elbow joint. The insertion is just distal (toward the hand) to this joint on the radius bone of the forearm. The biceps muscle is a bit shorter in flexion than it is in extension from its origins to its insertion.

http://www.mc3cb.com/pdf_ap_lecture_s6/C11_3_length_tension_and_whole_muscle_behavior.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the length-tension relationship of muscle?

The length-tension relationship of muscle refers to the relationship between the length of a muscle and the amount of force it can generate. This relationship is important because it affects the efficiency and effectiveness of muscle contraction.

Why is there confusion about the length-tension relationship of muscle?

There is confusion about the length-tension relationship of muscle because it is a complex and dynamic process that is influenced by various factors such as muscle fiber type, muscle architecture, and joint angle. Additionally, there have been conflicting studies and theories on the topic, leading to differing opinions and confusion among researchers.

How does the length-tension relationship affect muscle performance?

The length-tension relationship plays a crucial role in muscle performance. A muscle that is at an optimal length (neither too stretched nor too shortened) is able to generate the maximum amount of force, allowing for efficient and powerful movements. If a muscle is either too stretched or too shortened, it can lead to a decrease in force production and potentially result in injury.

Can the length-tension relationship of muscle be altered?

Yes, the length-tension relationship of muscle can be altered through various means such as stretching, strength training, and neuromuscular training. These interventions can improve muscle flexibility, increase muscle strength, and improve coordination between muscle fibers, ultimately leading to an optimal length-tension relationship and improved muscle performance.

How can understanding the length-tension relationship of muscle be beneficial?

Understanding the length-tension relationship of muscle is beneficial for athletes, coaches, and physical therapists as it can help optimize training programs, prevent injuries, and improve overall performance. It can also aid in the rehabilitation process by targeting specific muscle lengths and improving muscle function.