How can I obtain the convolution output for an input function and operator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of convolution in geophysical exploration, specifically the convolution output formula for an input function gi and a convolution operator fj. The example given is with an input of g(2,0,1) and operator of f(4,3,2,1), resulting in an output of y(8,6,8,5,2,1). However, the formula used in the textbook seems to produce a different solution, leading to a discussion about possible errors in the text.
AlecYates
Hey,

I've begun going through a book called "An introduction to geophysical exploration" by Phillip Kearey and Michael Brooks and I've come across a problem I can't for the life of me see how they got their answer.

Essentially, given an input function gi (i = 1,2... m), and a convolution operator fj (j = 1,2 ...n) the convolution output is given by:

yk = [itex]\Sigma[/itex]gifk - i (k = 1,2 ... m + n - 1)

with (Sigma sum starting at i = 1 and going up to m).

Their example is with an input of g(2,0,1) and operator of f(4,3,2,1) the output is y(8,6,8,5,2,1).

Not only can I not see how this is obtained, but based on the function if I'm trying to find y1 I end up with negative index of fj as I perform fk - i as i increases from 1 to 3 with the largest index being f0 (from f1 - 1 where k = 1 and i = 1). How can this be correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just realized this should be in the homework/CW area (by the rules listed in the pinned thread). Reposting.

AlecYates said:
Their example is with an input of g(2,0,1) and operator of f(4,3,2,1) the output is y(8,6,8,5,2,1).

Not only can I not see how this is obtained, but based on the function if I'm trying to find y1 I end up with negative index of fj as I perform fk - i as i increases from 1 to 3 with the largest index being f0 (from f1 - 1 where k = 1 and i = 1). How can this be correct?
The convolution g*f basically applies a "sliding filter" to g, where the filter is just a reversed f (or f by a reversed g; it's symmetric). In this case f(-n) = (1,2,3,4), so the terms in g*f are just

$$
\begin{matrix}
g & & & & 2 & 0 & 1 \\
f(-n) & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\
g*f & & & & 8
\end{matrix}
\qquad \ldots \qquad
\begin{matrix}
& 2 & 0 & 1 \\
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\
& 4 & 0 & & = 4
\end{matrix}
\qquad \ldots \qquad
\begin{matrix}
& 2 & 0 & 1 \\
& & & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\
& & & 1
\end{matrix}
$$

At the endpoints you see that f(-n) is allowed to "fall off the ends," so you get as many outputs as both inputs combined, less 1. This is just because f and g have to overlap by at least one term to make an output.

There are some nice visual demonstrations at the Wikipedia page for Convolution.

Likes 1 person
Yeah they have a demonstration of this on the next page of the textbook, which is easy enough to follow (although it didn't mention anything about the reversed filter which is helpful, I had wondered if it was a mistake originally).

It's just frustrating I can't get the same result using the Sigma Summation given.

Using the sigma summation I get y(0,8,6,8,5,2) as if I regard any impossible index's i.e. f(n) where n < 1 as 0, y1 can only ever be 0 as opposed to 8. So my solution is shifted to the right by one place from the actual solution.

Well, following your notation it seems to me that the summation should read

$$
y_k = \sum_{i} g_i \, f_{k-i+1} .
$$
That gives
$$
\begin{align}
y_1 &= g_1 \, f_1 + 0 = (2)(4) = 8 \\
& \vdots \\
y_{m+n-1} &= y_6 = 0 + g_3 \, f_{6-3+1} = (1)(1) = 1,
\end{align}
$$
which looks correct.

Yup seems to be. Guess I'll assume it an error within the text and move on. Cheers

What is the convolution output function?

The convolution output function is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a third function. It is commonly used in signal processing and image processing to extract information from signals and images.

How is the convolution output function calculated?

The convolution output function is calculated by multiplying two functions, one of which is flipped and shifted, and then integrating the product over the entire domain of the functions. This process is repeated for different values of the shift, resulting in a third function.

What is the purpose of using the convolution output function?

The convolution output function is used to extract features and information from signals and images. It can be used for tasks such as image filtering, noise reduction, and feature detection.

What is the difference between discrete and continuous convolution output function?

The discrete convolution output function is used for discrete signals and images, where the domain is a finite set of points. The continuous convolution output function is used for continuous signals and images, where the domain is a continuous range of values.

What are the limitations of the convolution output function?

One limitation of the convolution output function is that it assumes that the two functions are completely overlapping, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the calculation of the convolution output function can be computationally expensive for large data sets.