Estimating contact-time

• Thread starter standardflop
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to estimate the contact time between a racquet and a tennis ball, assuming a constant force acting on the ball. The given quantities are the speed of the ball after the stroke, the dimension of the ball under the stroke, and the mass of the ball. The contact time is determined by finding the time it takes for the center of mass of the ball to move from R/2 to R under the stroke. There is a debate on whether the center of mass will move 2R or if there are other factors to consider. Some suggest using the impulse-momentum theorem or energy equations to find the contact time, but there are discrepancies in the results obtained.
standardflop
Wich is the best way to estimate contacttime between racquet and a tennisball, under assumption that the force acting is constant? Also known is the speed of the tennisball after the stroke, v=27.8 m/s (100km/t), and the dimension of the ball under the stroke is half of normal.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of the racket on the tennis ball has the effect of accelerating the tennis ball's center of mass. If the radius of the tennis ball is R, then the center of mass of the tennis ball is initially a distance R/2 from the racket (the dimension is half according to your description). Please tell me if I have interpreted something wrong so far. What are your given quantities?

The contact time for this phase of the stroke will then be the time it takes for the center of mass to move from R/2 to R, why? Can you find this time in terms of given quantities using your knowledge of the final velocity?

Last edited:
Using the assumption that the center of mass under the stroke will move 2R i got the result t=5.8ms. this sounds fair, i guess..
found it using, m=0.1kg R=4cm and:
F=Ekin/2R and then t=mv/F=5.8ms

How did you decide that the center of mass would move 2R? You need to be careful about what you assume the initial condition is. I described one possible phase of the stroke above, but you need to ask yourself, based on the initial conditions, just exactly what the full stroke is.

Last edited:
standardflop said:
Using the assumption that the center of mass under the stroke will move 2R i got the result t=5.8ms. this sounds fair, i guess..
found it using, m=0.1kg R=4cm and:
F=Ekin/2R and then t=mv/F=5.8ms
I think the question expects one to assume that the force is applied over the compression distance (d/2 or R).

If you assume that the force is constant, F, for a time [itex]\Delta t[/itex] the impulse [itex]F\Delta t[/itex] is equal to the momentum of the ball. Also, [itex]Fd/2 = mv^2/2[/itex] where d is the diameter of the ball.

Combine the two equations to get rid of m to find the time and you end up with:

[tex]mv/\Delta t = mv^2/d[/tex]

[tex]\Delta t = d/v[/tex]

But I don't think it is a reasonable assumption. The racquet is moving and the racquet strings contract as the ball remains in contact with the racquet. You have to take into account the distance that the force is applied through in the original frame of reference (of the stationary tennis court). This could be considerably larger than half the diameter of the ball.

AM

I think all you need to do is , considering absence of any external forces , the Force applied over time 't' would give impulse tot he ball initially assumed to be at rest.

So F.t = Change in momentum

This would give you the answer including the compression effects , which would lead to only internal forces.

BJ

Dr.Brain said:
I think all you need to do is , considering absence of any external forces , the Force applied over time 't' would give impulse tot he ball initially assumed to be at rest.
So F.t = Change in momentum
This would give you the answer including the compression effects , which would lead to only internal forces.
BJ
That gives you the impulse. How do you work out just the time without knowing F? In order to determine F one has to use energy and the distance over which the force applies. My point is that distance is greater than the distance the ball compresses.

AM

another thing i wondered about was:
using the following two eq.s ( [itex] F \Delta x = 1/2 mv^2 [/itex] and [itex] F \Delta t = mv [/itex]) you could solve and find
[itex] \Delta t = 2 \Delta x /v [/itex]. why is this result different (by factor 2) than the well known [itex] x = x_0+v t [/itex]? and which is the "right" to use?

Last edited:
Remember the velocity in [tex] \Delta t = 2 \Delta x / v_f [/tex] is the final velocity, while the velocity in [tex] \Delta x = v_a \Delta t [/tex] is the average velocity. What is the relationship between [tex] v_f [/tex] and [tex] v_a [/tex] for a constant force (assuming the system starts at rest)?

1. How is contact-time defined in scientific terms?

Contact-time refers to the duration of physical contact between two surfaces or substances. It is typically measured in seconds and is an important factor in determining the extent of interactions between materials or organisms.

2. What are the factors that can affect contact-time?

The contact-time between two surfaces or substances can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the properties of the materials involved (e.g. surface roughness, porosity, and chemical composition), the force of impact, and environmental conditions (e.g. temperature and humidity).

3. How is contact-time estimated in scientific experiments?

Contact-time can be estimated through various experimental methods, such as direct observation, chemical analysis, and mathematical modeling. The specific technique used will depend on the nature of the materials being studied and the research objectives.

4. Why is estimating contact-time important in scientific research?

Estimating contact-time is crucial in understanding the mechanisms and outcomes of interactions between materials or organisms. It can provide insights into the effectiveness of chemical reactions, the spread of diseases, and the transfer of energy or nutrients in ecological systems.

5. Are there any limitations to estimating contact-time?

Yes, there are limitations to estimating contact-time, as it is often a complex and dynamic process. The accuracy of estimates can be affected by experimental design, measurement errors, and variability in the materials or conditions being studied. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and validate the methods used for estimating contact-time in scientific research.