Finding the Density of a Duck Floating on a Lake

In summary, the conversation discusses the average density of a duck floating on a lake with 28% of its volume beneath the water. The formula for buoyant force is mentioned, and it is noted that the weight of the duck can be written in terms of its density and volume. The conversation ends with a question about finding the weight of the duck in terms of its density and volume.
MKM
A duck is floating on a lake with 28% of its volume beneath the water. What is the average density of the duck?
This question seems pretty straight froward I realize ultimately that in order to find the answer the duck density= duck mass/duck V. If it is 28% I am assuming that should equal .28V and I know I need to use the formula for bouyant force FB=Weight of fluid=density of fluid x Volume of fluid x g I can plug in the density of fluid but I am not sure how to find all of the other variables having only been given a percentage of the Volume.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You said that the bouyancy force is equal to the the weight of water displaced. So what is the force oppossing this?

i.e. Can you write the weight of the duck in terms of it's density and volume?

Regards,
Sam

I think its W= density .28V x 9.8

Lets say the volume of the duck is one(this assumption won't change anything since the density of the duck doesn't depend on its mass, it will sink 28% of its volume no matter what its volume is). then the volume beneath water is 28/100. The mass of the duck times g will be equal to the density of water times 28/100 times g.

[tex] M\times{9.8} = d_{w}\times{0.28}\times{9.8} [/tex]

Now, the volume is [tex] \frac{M}{V} = M [/tex]

MKM said:
I think its W= density .28V x 9.8

Almost, its whole mass is going to give it weight, think about your V term.
Tip: Always write algebra until the end, just in case things cancel (especially g). :wink:

So you have:

[tex]W=?=Bouyancy=\rho_{watter}V_{water}g[/tex]

You also know:
[tex]V_{water}=0.28V_{duck}[/tex]

dx said:
Now, the volume is
[tex]\frac{M}{V}=M[/tex]

Surely a typo !??

Regards,
Sam

Can you take it from here?

1. What is density and why is it important to find the density of a duck floating on a lake?

Density is the measure of how much mass an object has in a given volume. It is important to find the density of a duck floating on a lake because it can help us understand the buoyancy of the duck and its ability to float on the water's surface. It can also provide insight into the overall health and condition of the duck.

2. How do you measure the density of a duck floating on a lake?

To measure the density of a duck floating on a lake, you will need to measure the mass of the duck and the volume of water it displaces. The density can then be calculated by dividing the mass by the volume. This can be done using a scale to measure the mass and a graduated cylinder to measure the volume of water displaced.

3. What factors can affect the density of a duck floating on a lake?

The density of a duck floating on a lake can be affected by several factors, such as the duck's body composition, the temperature and salinity of the water, and the amount of air trapped in the duck's feathers. These factors can all impact the duck's buoyancy and ultimately its density.

4. How does the density of a duck floating on a lake compare to the density of water?

The density of a duck floating on a lake will typically be slightly less than the density of water, as the duck's body is made up of materials that are less dense than water. However, the density of a duck may vary depending on its body composition, as well as the factors mentioned above.

5. What can the density of a duck floating on a lake tell us about the duck's health?

The density of a duck floating on a lake can provide information about the duck's overall health and condition. A duck with a lower density may have a higher percentage of body fat, which can indicate good health and energy reserves. A higher density may suggest a lower percentage of body fat, which could indicate malnutrition or illness in the duck.