What is the Convection Term in a Finite Difference Model of Ocean Currents?

In summary, the program can solve for the current in an ocean current using finite difference methods.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We have been given a program that can solve the following equation using finite difference methods:

[tex]- \epsilon \left( \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial y^2} \right) - \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = \sin \left(\pi y\right) \quad x,y \, \in \, (0,1)[/tex]

This is a convection diffusion model of ocean currents where the x-direction is east and the y-direction is north. And [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] on the boundaries.

I’ve managed to do most the problems for this but we asked to investigate the case when the Earth is rotating in the opposite direction, by changing the sign of the convection term. However I am unsure what that term is. Also I’m a little dodgy on my finite difference methods for partial differential equations, how exactly do they differ from working out finite difference methods for ordinary differential equations?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reading over my notes and thinking about it, I think I more or less have the hang of getting finite differences for PDEs, but could someone tell me which is the convection term please.

Zurtex said:
Reading over my notes and thinking about it, I think I more or less have the hang of getting finite differences for PDEs, but could someone tell me which is the convection term please.

Suppose you got this already Zurtex. I think about it's relevance perhaps to the north atlantic conveyor belt. You know that story? Well, it starts off about a man name Jed, a poor mountianeer where he kept . . . wait, wrong story. It's that river of ocean water that circles the globe, takes about 20,000 years for one circuit. Sometimes it can be disrupted by a large influx of fresh water, glaicers melting, ice wall breaking, causing large changes in climate. Wouldn't it be interesting if a non-linear PDE could model this with a critical point expressing this abrupt disruption. Anyway, I think it's the

[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}[/tex]

term.:smile:

Oh yea, I think Mathematica could do a nice job of running a finite difference say with 10,000 equations (i.e. increment of 0.01).

1. What is a finite difference method?

A finite difference method is a numerical technique used to approximate the solution to a differential equation by discretizing the domain into a finite number of grid points. It involves approximating derivatives using finite differences and solving a system of algebraic equations to obtain the solution.

2. What types of problems can finite difference methods solve?

Finite difference methods can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and boundary value problems. They are particularly useful for problems with complex geometries or boundary conditions.

3. How accurate are finite difference methods?

The accuracy of finite difference methods depends on the size of the grid used and the order of the finite difference approximation. Generally, a finer grid and a higher order approximation result in a more accurate solution. However, finite difference methods are only an approximation and may not give an exact solution.

4. What are the advantages of using finite difference methods?

Finite difference methods are relatively easy to implement and can handle a wide range of problems. They also allow for parallelization and can be used to solve problems with complicated geometries or boundary conditions. Additionally, they provide a numerical solution that can be easily visualized and analyzed.

5. Are there any limitations to using finite difference methods?

Finite difference methods may not work well for problems with discontinuous or highly oscillatory solutions. They also require a large number of grid points to accurately capture the behavior of the solution, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, for problems with variable coefficients, the finite difference method may not provide an accurate solution.