Beat Burnout: Physics Major Struggling in Last Year

In summary, this person is struggling with coping with a heavy workload. They are considering dropping the class, but are worried about starting from scratch.
Gza
Hi all, I needed some advice on how to combat burnout. It's my last year as a physics major, taking 5 classes (Quantum I/ EM II/ Statistical Mech./ Classical Mech II/ GR), and I'm pretty much worn down to the bone at this point. I've always had a passion for physics (and still do), but find it hard to be enthusiastic about learning when I've got a 50 hr+/week workload that leaves little time for anything non-physics related. I'm actually taking all of these classes simultaneously because of financial reasons btw. I sometimes consider just dropping out, since I feel the stress I'm going through is literally compromising my health now (i've had cramming sessions until 4am where I've literally blacked out without remembering ever going to sleep.) Any advice on how I can stay sane at this point? Any help is appreciated, okay enough procrastinating, i have two midterms tommorow!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gza said:
Hi all, I needed some advice on how to combat burnout. It's my last year as a physics major, taking 5 classes (Quantum I/ EM II/ Statistical Mech./ Classical Mech II/ GR), and I'm pretty much worn down to the bone at this point. I've always had a passion for physics (and still do), but find it hard to be enthusiastic about learning when I've got a 50 hr+/week workload that leaves little time for anything non-physics related. I'm actually taking all of these classes simultaneously because of financial reasons btw. I sometimes consider just dropping out, since I feel the stress I'm going through is literally compromising my health now (i've had cramming sessions until 4am where I've literally blacked out without remembering ever going to sleep.) Any advice on how I can stay sane at this point? Any help is appreciated, okay enough procrastinating, i have two midterms tommorow!
That is an insane load for a single quarter. I'm surprised your advisor would let you take that (or does he/she not know?). I understand the pressure of financial issues, but 5 upper division physics courses in one quarter, 20 units of upper division physics classes, is insane, I don't think anyone human could do all that in 10 weeks.

Think about how much you'd hate yourself if the previous 3 years of your life were a waste of time?

I know exactly how you feel, really a lot of my feellings are expressed in my thread, but just to reitorate, I really have become quite unmotivated after 4 years of stress. I know what you're going through, I started my QM class 2 weeks late, and it really as much as people say "oh well if you're interested in it then it will be ok! kthxbye:)" they don't realize that whether you are interested in it doesn't come into play because of the things you have to worry about like tests, homework, etc. So I guess what I am trying to say is, you're not alone, just try to get it done, get it out of the way, and hopefully all this will somehow pay you back someday.

Gza said:
I'm actually taking all of these classes simultaneously because of financial reasons btw.

I don't mean to pry into your finances, but I'm not sure I understand. Courses typically cost more or less the same from term to term, barring a major tuition increase. Couldn't you seriously split this over two terms, take slightly longer to graduate? Those are all hard courses man! Or is it a question of being able to afford school NOW, but not necessarily a few months from now? Or is a question of accumulating interest on a student loan? :confused:

Drop two classes. Seriously. Take them over the summer if you can or spend an extra quarter/semester at school. It's better than losing your sanity...

dunno any solution really ...deal with it maybe ,,stuuned by the blackout part.wat poops said was interesting ,,dropping something ,if possible
Maybe scheduling better and not working so hard maybe...doing more outside of physics might give you some sort of freedom ,asking for advice from ppl on same course(maybe uve done that)..asking some1 who understands the situation beter than we do ...50 hours hmm try using that better so i guess 35 hours ..5 hours a day from monday to friday ,do u wake up early?...and how about leaving the weekends completely free...and get some hobbies ...i guess wat u want to do is make this year the best u can ...i say to sum up work less...or plan better,and schedule time for urself and wen u feel tired go to bed ...SRRY IF NOTHING HERE IS USEFUL I MIGHT CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING USEful LATTER MAYBE ..DUNNO...GooD LUcK

Im in a similar situation.
Im in 2nd year, taking
classical mechanics 2
E&M
Modern Physics
6-hour physics lab
Group Theory
Real Analysis
Topology
Differential Equations

So yeah, I am burnt out as well. But I justify it by knowing that the semester is almost over, so you can probably just hang in there a little while longer. If you don't feel you can lost that long, drop 1-2 classes and take them during the Summer.

Same here...

Taking:
Complex Variables
Partial Differential Equations
Statistics
3 Senior level Computer Science courses.
I have to stay up to 1:00 at night and sometimes 2:00 everyday and it's still not enough! Taking 19 credits every semester with the hope of finishing my double major in 4 years (1 year left).

1. What is burnout?

Burnout is a psychological state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by prolonged stress and overworking. It is often characterized by feelings of fatigue, detachment, and a sense of reduced accomplishment.

2. Why are physics majors more prone to burnout?

Physics majors are often required to take on a heavy workload of rigorous courses, which can lead to high levels of stress. In addition, the field of physics can be very competitive and demanding, adding to the pressure to perform well.

3. How can burnout affect a physics major's academic performance?

Burnout can affect a physics major's academic performance in several ways. It can lead to a lack of motivation and focus, making it difficult to study and complete assignments. It can also cause physical and mental fatigue, which can impact their ability to perform well on exams and in the classroom.

4. What are some signs of burnout to look out for?

Signs of burnout can vary from person to person, but some common indicators include feeling constantly exhausted, having difficulty concentrating, feeling detached or disengaged from coursework, and experiencing physical symptoms such as headaches or stomachaches.

5. How can a physics major struggling with burnout seek help?

There are many resources available for physics majors struggling with burnout. They can reach out to academic advisors or professors for support and guidance. They can also seek counseling services from their university's mental health center. Additionally, practicing self-care and finding balance in their workload can help prevent and manage burnout.