Homework on RC, RL and RLC circuits

In summary: That's tough, but it sounds like you're doing well now that you're studying for it. In summary, Cyrus is happy with his 12/12 on a thermo test and his 50/50 on a criminal justice paper. He is also studying for electronics homework that will be due Wednesday. He has a criminal justice test tomorrow and a stat test Thursday.
Cyrus
In light of all the threads started in here about people who BMC about flunking tests, I will post the opposite.

I had my thermo test today. It was hard in my opinion. But I think I got a 12/12 on it :cool:. I studied 4 days for, I better get a 12! :yuck: I need to lower the entropy in my life.

I am paying the price now though, because I made thermo my life for those 4 days. Now I have to do all my electronics homework on RC, RL and RLC circuits in transient, due wednesday. And that's not going to be easy or fun :mad:. I also had a horrible lab last monday, and it's due today. I need to redo the last part of the lab, but I asked the TA for an extension and he said it was ok. SWEETNESS :tongue:. Now I have to go back and reread an entire chapter for stat and do my stat homework due tomorrow that I have not touched, and a stat quiz tomorrow. Then I have a stat test on thursday, and a crim test on next tuesday :yuck:. Well, can't say I didn't try, but it looks like this thread just turned into my own BMC. :tongue2:

Engineering news on Phys.org
People tend to share their sadness with others! That's why we only have threads about flunking tests. :grumpy:

Lisa! said:
People tend to share their sadness with others! That's why we only have threads about flunking tests. :grumpy:
Wallowing in misery seems more socially acceptable than gloating in triumph. :uhh:

Astronuc said:
Wallowing in misery seems more socially acceptable than gloating in triumph. :uhh:
Sad, but true. I think it's good to get to celebrate life's achievements too.

it's easier to offend or upset people when you're talking about how well you did in a test, which is probably why most people avoid the subject.

Meh, I guess they should have studied then.

fasterthanjoao said:
it's easier to offend or upset people when you're talking about how well you did in a test, which is probably why most people avoid the subject.
I think it's how people do it. For example, here, Cyrus mentioned having studied really hard for it, and pointed out the test was hard, so he's really glad to feel good about doing well on it, and I think we can all look at his post and say, yes, we're happy for him, he put the effort in and it paid off. We've all experienced the opposite too, of someone coming around gloating that "I didn't even need to study, that was such a piece of cake, and anyone who didn't do well must be an idiot," when you know others do not share that view that it was so easy, despite studying hard. I guess the difference is that some people can celebrate their own achievement without putting other people down, and some seem to need to rub it in and make others feel bad in the process of gloating about their own achievement.

Actually my initial comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, and Moonbear is absolutely right - it's a matter of how it's done.

Boasting is uncool! :yuck:

Celebrating in a considerate way is the way to go, and even consoling those who didn't do so well.

I personally never really cared for competitions, nor for titles or awards, simply because I don't like to held out as being better or more successful.

I prefer cooperation in which everyone wins, and that's how I do things. An extension of that philosophy is peer-to-peer support and mentoring. That's how I manage as well.

Hooray for me. I got 12/12 on my thermo test. Class avg was 6.9 with a standard deviation of 2.8.

I got 100% on my stat quiz, 4.5/5 on my stat hw

20/20 on my electronics homework, which took everyone hours to do boo!

I got 50/50 on my criminal justice paper :smile: (Ill pass that stupid class, even if it does takes me more than one time :mad:)

And I was so behind on my lab report due today, but we got an extension for a week! YES!

Now I have a criminal justice test tomorrow, and a stat test thursday. So I will study my butt off for Crim. I should have studied more over the weekend, but somehow, I ended up watching saving private Ryan and Crimson Tide on TNT all day :uhh: :biggrin:

Keep up the hard work, cyrus. It will take you far.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I am paying the price now though, because I made thermo my life for those 4 days. Now I have to do all my electronics homework on RC, RL and RLC circuits in transient, due wednesday.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I laugh at you. I had that class last quarter. Just wait for diodes and transistors.

Damn you nietzsche! Yes, we are doing Diodes, MOSFET Transistors, and Operational Amplifiers. Then, get this, I get the honor of taking ANOTHER semester of this stuff! Then its off to Fourier land! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <chick chick, KABOOM>

Laugh it up, fuzzball...

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hooray for me. I got 12/12 on my thermo test. Class avg was 6.9 with a standard deviation of 2.8.

I got 100% on my stat quiz, 4.5/5 on my stat hw

20/20 on my electronics homework, which took everyone hours to do boo!

I got 50/50 on my criminal justice paper :smile: (Ill pass that stupid class, even if it does takes me more than one time :mad:)

And I was so behind on my lab report due today, but we got an extension for a week! YES!

Now I have a criminal justice test tomorrow, and a stat test thursday. So I will study my butt off for Crim. I should have studied more over the weekend, but somehow, I ended up watching saving private Ryan and Crimson Tide on TNT all day :uhh: :biggrin:
Yay for you! I'm always happy to hear that someone's hard work has paid off! :smile:

We need more people to share their successes!

cyrusabdollahi said:
Damn you nietzsche! Yes, we are doing Diodes, MOSFET Transistors, and Operational Amplifiers. Then, get this, I get the honor of taking ANOTHER semester of this stuff! Then its off to Fourier land! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <chick chick, KABOOM>

Laugh it up, fuzzball...

Oh you can't whine then. We did all that, plus digital logic circuits in one quarter, just ten weeks. It was hell. That class killed my inner child and convinced me I do not want anything to do with experimental work.

The hell I can't.....Sucks 4 U.

Ten weeks a semseter, your school sucks my friend. 16 weeks, ooooo yeahhhh.

cyrusabdollahi said:
The hell I can't.....Sucks 4 U.

Ten weeks a semseter, your school sucks my friend. 16 weeks, ooooo yeahhhh.

No, we don't have semesters. Quarter system. Just that class sucked.

Ba ha ha ha ha, I got 94 on my stat test. my professor is determined to do every single page in the book, and he's going to do just that. It was a steep curve, but now I am on top of things.

Mu ha hah ah ha hah.

Oh yeah, and I got a 90 on my criminal justice test too. (I sat down and memorized things the night before too) Awesome.

Provided I do well on my electronics exam next week, the chances of a 4.0 is looking good. Mu ha ha ha ha... I could really use a 4.0 this semester.

1. What are RC, RL, and RLC circuits?

RC, RL, and RLC circuits are types of electrical circuits that contain a combination of resistors (R), capacitors (C), and inductors (L). These components are used to control the flow of electric current and are commonly found in electronic devices and power systems.

2. What is the difference between RC and RL circuits?

The main difference between RC and RL circuits is the type of component they use to control current. RC circuits use capacitors, which store and release electrical energy, whereas RL circuits use inductors, which resist changes in current flow. This results in different behaviors and characteristics of the circuits.

3. What is the purpose of RLC circuits?

RLC circuits are used to filter and tune electrical signals. They can be used to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal or to amplify specific frequencies. RLC circuits are also used in power systems to control the flow of current and voltage.

4. How do I calculate the total impedance in an RLC circuit?

The total impedance in an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. The impedance is measured in ohms and represents the total resistance to current flow in the circuit.

5. What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant in an RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum charge. It is calculated using the formula τ = RC, where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads. The time constant is used to determine the rate of change in voltage or current in an RC circuit.