What Should We Name Our New Puppy?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a name for the poster's new puppy and various suggestions were given by other members. Some proposed names were Lucy, Integral, Lisa, Sofia, Athena, Endymiona, Katy, Pengwunio, Cyrusabdollahi, Thumper, JD, Georgia, Mental Gridlock, Yogi, Rosco, Gigi, Tigger, Sasquatch, Hobbit, Sammy, Spike, Kevin, Cinder, JB, Smokey, Imp, Scrunchie, Radar, and Dish. There was also a discussion on whether or not pets should be given people names. The original poster expressed gratitude for the suggestions and asked for more ideas.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2 weeks ago I posted some pics of our new puppy. Well we are still looking for a name. We were thinking the good people here in GD might be able to put some ideas on the table.

We have been thinking Lucy (Riki and Lucy) would be interesting. While the name goes good with Riki, that is about all it has. We are open. Here are some more pics to get you acquainted with the little girl. She is now a bit over 3lb. (~1.2 kg).

Here she is taking nap.
http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Ricochet/her_santa.JPG

Now playing on the stairs.
http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Ricochet/heronstairs.JPG

More play

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Ricochet/her2.JPG

Playing with Riki:

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Ricochet/Riki_herl2.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Ricochet/Riki_her.JPG

Now here we catch another side of her. http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Ricochet/her10.JPG

She is pretty rough when wrestling with Riki, those teeth are very bit as sharp as puppy teeth can be. She tends to try to chew on ears and nose when the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, the first name that came up unto my mind after looking at your puppy was Charlie, but since she's, it cannot be. :tongue2:

How about 'Integral'? Wouldn't this be good? :rolleyes:

I always wanted to call my dog or son, 'Judas' :)

Lisa,
Sofia,
Athena,
Endymiona,
latratora,
decorus,
Katy,

These are others that come up on my mind, Lucy would be great too, it's a nice name. Hope I helped a little :cry:

Name it Pengwunio. :biggrin:

Name it Cyrusabdollahi

I agree with heartless. If I had a female dog I would name her Lisa!

I would suggest no people names. For some silly reason I object to cats or dogs being named people names. It should be rover or spike not mary or lucy or anything like that. I usually name a pet based on their behavior. Usually you can find they have their own little idiosyncrasy that is unique to them and may spawn a name. Naming a pet is certainly easier live in person then it is over the net. Female names seem harder to come up with for some reason too. Cute puppy though!

In the spirit of the season, Thumper

JD [just dog] :biggrin: or in that sense, you could go Goth and name her Georgia [the reeper]

Mental Gridlock said:
I would suggest no people names. For some silly reason I object to cats or dogs being named people names. It should be rover or spike not mary or lucy or anything like that. I usually name a pet based on their behavior. Usually you can find they have their own little idiosyncrasy that is unique to them and may spawn a name. Naming a pet is certainly easier live in person then it is over the net. Female names seem harder to come up with for some reason too. Cute puppy though!

Name it Mental Gridlock, just for spite.

Mental Gridlock said:
Yeah, that is what we have been waiting for. The right name to pop out at us, so far nothing has popped. ( Just about spelled that pooped! now there has been plenty of that popping out!)

Thanks for the suggestions.. keep em coming!

Just call her puppy. Like was mentioned before, people names - no good.

mattmns said:
I agree with heartless. If I had a female dog I would name her Lisa!

Is this some backhanded comment on Lisa!?

Yogi
Rosco
Gigi
Tigger
Sasquatch
Hobbit

or, since I should be working on my taxes, Sammy.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yogi
I once knew a bear with that name... somehow it doesn't work for me.
Rosco
This could cause some confusion.

Gigi
Tigger
Now these I like.
Sasquatch
Hobbit
Both have big hairy feet, did you see any big hairy feet in the pics?
or, since I should be working on my taxes, Sammy.

Yeah, but my taxes have been done for weeks. (Guess that is where you are tonight!... Good luck!)

Last edited:
ranger said:
Just call her puppy. Like was mentioned before, people names - no good.
Hey, my beloved Brittany Spaniel was named Kevin. Sometimes we just have no control over what their names are. :grumpy:

I vote for "Spike".

Mental Gridlock said:
I'm the same way about naming pets. For example, we had a dog named Cinder who got her name after rolling around in the pile of ashes in the backyard (we used to dump them from the woodburning stove into a pile, and she found the pile). :rolleyes:

Hmm...since she's very playful and part Chihuahua, how about "JB" for jumping bean. :biggrin: The coloration of her face looks like she could be a "Smokey." "Imp" might be a name for her.

I'm going to look back at the other thread and see if something in the descriptions there lends itself to a name.

Edit: After re-reading the prior thread, I still like Tsu's suggestion of "Scrunchie." :biggrin:

She still has those big ears too, so maybe something that plays off that feature would work (or do you think they'll eventually flop down and not be as prominent?) "Radar" sounds too much like a male name though. Maybe "Dish" as in satellite dish. :uhh: Okay, that was pretty bad.

I think you need a third dog, then you can name them Riki, Tiki and Tavi. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Integral said:
I once knew a bear with that name... somehow it doesn't work for me.

Boo Boo

Both have big hairy feet, did you see any big hairy feet in the pics?

Bilbo?

Yeah, but my taxes have been done for weeks. (Guess that is where you are tonight!... Good luck!)

Getting them in on time and not filing an extension or two is a huge improvement for me. :redface:

Moonbear said:
I think you need a third dog, then you can name them Riki, Tiki and Tavi. :tongue2:
I second this. :tongue2:

I still think binary logic or compution theorm would be a good name

Giget pops into my mind when i see her.

No, no, no. You have to give animals who are members of your family names. You can't go about calling them "snowball" or "spots" or something equally inane. They aren't a description, they're a someone: name them.

I think Lucy to go with Ricki is perfect.

We had a cat who had the most beautiful blue eyes. So we called him Frank. Then another cat arrived and I wanted to call her Frances. However, I was informed that that was too "cutesy and stupid" and besides, his mother's middle name was Frances, and that was too weird. So we wound up calling her Bean just for the joke effect.

Aside from this example, I've have a finch called Constantine and a dog name Demetrius. Give them a name, darnit. They're a part of the family.

GeorginaS said:
No, no, no. You have to give animals who are members of your family names. You can't go about calling them "snowball" or "spots" or something equally inane. They aren't a description, they're a someone: name them.

I think Lucy to go with Ricki is perfect.

We had a cat who had the most beautiful blue eyes. So we called him Frank. Then another cat arrived and I wanted to call her Frances. However, I was informed that that was too "cutesy and stupid" and besides, his mother's middle name was Frances, and that was too weird. So we wound up calling her Bean just for the joke effect.

Aside from this example, I've have a finch called Constantine and a dog name Demetrius. Give them a name, darnit. They're a part of the family.
Do as I say, not as I do, huh? :biggrin: :wink: I think Frank and Bean are the best names ever!

I donno, she doesn't look like a Lucy...

Our dog is named Rusty, but we call him Butt now because he smells like one.

Why not name it after a car? Or something in science?

My sister has a cat named Mercedes. I think that fits well.

She's a Tinkie

I have a cat named Botox. It's a long story... Name the dog Ramona. She just looks like a Ramona.

Either "Mija Suzette Antoinette" or "Speed Bump" :biggrin:

Name it fudge

I'd suggest 'Gremlin', because that last picture looks a lot like the critters in the movie of the same name.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Name it Mental Gridlock, just for spite.
Or, better yet... since you're a mentor, look up Mental's real name and call her that instead. Once he knows that you did it, he'll never rest. :devil:

"Foxy" as in Foxy Lady. Look at dem ears! She sure looks like a little fox pup.

If she happens to be a smart pup, call her Wiki! :biggrin:

Danger said:
I'd suggest 'Gremlin', because that last picture looks a lot like the critters in the movie of the same name.
That came to my mind too, but I thought Gizmo, which didn't seem to quite fit for a female dog, so I didn't suggest it. Or, what about mogwai (or however it's spelled...that was the non-gremlin form of those little furballs in Gremlins).

neutrino said:
If she happens to be a smart pup, call her Wiki! :biggrin:
Wiki's good.

I like - Sophie. Simple (2 syllables) yet sweet.

Astronuc said:
Wiki's good.
But if you call her that, any of your neighbours can retrain her at their whim. :tongue:

Danger said:
But if you call her that, any of your neighbours can retrain her at their whim. :tongue:
And the dogs' names would sound so similar that training the pup would be a nightmare. I suggest doing what we did with some of our female ferrets - name them after a flower.

We used Rosie, Jasmine (Jas, for short), Lily. I went to pick up a rescue ferret in a blizzard, so she got the name Stormy - we got another rescue ferret (we got them dumped on us and couldn't say no) that the owner called "Rats" - she was a pretty albino, so nice and white that we changed her name to Star.

Pick a name that is not too complicated, and one that doesn't sound like "stop" "no" "stay" or any other of the things you might want to have to communicate in a hurry, like if she wanders into the street.

Danger said:
:rofl: Good one!

What Should We Name Our New Puppy?

1. How do we choose the perfect name for our new puppy?

Choosing a name for your new puppy can be a fun and exciting process. Some people like to choose a name that reflects their dog's personality or appearance, while others prefer to go with a name that holds personal significance. It's important to choose a name that you and your family will be happy with for years to come.

2. Should we consider our puppy's breed when choosing a name?

It's not necessary to consider your puppy's breed when choosing a name. However, if you have a specific breed that is known for certain characteristics or traits, you may want to take that into consideration. For example, if you have a Golden Retriever, you may want to choose a name that reflects their friendly and outgoing personality.

3. Is it okay to use a human name for our puppy?

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to using a human name for your puppy. Many people choose to use human names for their pets, while others prefer more traditional pet names. Ultimately, the decision is up to you and what you feel is best for your new puppy.

4. Are there any names that are not recommended for puppies?

It's generally not recommended to choose a name that is too long or difficult to pronounce. This can make it challenging for your puppy to learn their name and respond to it. It's also not recommended to choose a name that sounds too similar to a command, as this can cause confusion for your puppy.

5. Should we involve our children in the naming process?

Involving your children in the naming process can be a great way to get them excited about their new puppy. However, it's important to make sure everyone in the family agrees on the final name choice. You may also want to set some guidelines or have a family vote to ensure everyone's opinions are considered.