What Are the Best Advanced Mechanics Textbooks for Self-Study?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-studying mechanics after completing an introductory physics text. Several recommended texts are mentioned, including "An Intro to Mechanics" by Kleppner & Kolenkow, "Classical Dynamics of Particles & Systems" by Marion & Thornton, and "Mechanics" by Keith Symon. There is also a mention of Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics" as a graduate level text. The conversation also touches on the importance of clear and correct end-of-chapter exercises for self-study. Ultimately, the individual decides to order Symon's "Mechanics" as their next text.
Rainman
hi.
i have worked through the mechanics and waves/optics portions of halliday/resnick/walker "fundamentals of physics" 6/e (an introductory physics text), and i want to continue on self-studying mechanics.
could you suggest a formal mechanics text (or maybe it would be called a classical mechanics text?) that continues on from introductory mechanics (my math background 2 university calculus courses and a university linear algebra course).
Keith Symon's "mechanics" 3/e looks good...any comments on that text for those that are familiar with it?
thanks for any help/suggestions.
Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest starting with "An Intro to Mechanics" by Kleppner & Kolenkow. Don't be fooled by the title, it is a lot more advanced than HRW but they write far more clearly the HR. Only fault is it does not include Lagrangian & Hamiltonian. L & H equations are how professors do those really hard mechanics problems in HRW. Once they know the answer, they work it again with the methods they taught you.

Then try the classic "Classical Dynamics of Particles & Systems" by Marion & Thornton. To save money you could start with M&T but I found it a bit too hard.

A distant third choice would be Fowles & Cassidy. It has a lot of good material but they don't explain well. I spent many hours discussing what they were trying to say with my prof. & found many of the problems to be ambiguous.

thanks mmwave.
that was the other book that looked good.
the only thing was that quite a few reviewers on amazon.com complained of cryptic and/or faulty end of chapter exercises,which worried me for self study...how would you rate the end of chapter exercises (difficult problems are okay, but they should be clear and correct, right)?
another question: does this book lead to something like goldstein's "classical mechanics" or should there be a book in between that teaches lagrangian and hamiltonian mechanics prior to goldstein?
thanks
Jonathan

I haven't read Goldstein's text yet. I thought it was a graduate text in which case I would read Marion & Thornton first. K & K have no answers to the problems so that is a minus but at least you've got this forum for feedback!

If your mathematical maturity is up to it, you don't need an intermediate text before Goldstein. Only you can answer that though.

I would NOT recommend jumping right to Goldstein from HRW and a year of Calculus + linear algebra. Symon is a good book. I agree that Cassiday and Fowles is not crystal clear, but I think of it as at a little lower level than Symon. My first choice would be Symon if you can't find a place to take a course.

okay, thanks for the help...i ordered symon.

1. What is a suggested mechanics text?

A suggested mechanics text is a textbook that covers the fundamental principles and concepts of mechanics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and its causes.

2. Why is it important to have a suggested mechanics text?

A suggested mechanics text is important because it provides a structured and comprehensive guide for students to learn and understand the principles of mechanics. It also serves as a reference for scientists and engineers in their work.

3. What topics are typically covered in a suggested mechanics text?

The topics covered in a suggested mechanics text usually include kinematics, dynamics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, rotational motion, and gravitation.

4. How can a suggested mechanics text be used effectively?

A suggested mechanics text can be used effectively by following the recommended sequence of chapters and practicing problems to reinforce understanding. It can also be used as a supplement to lectures and for self-study.

5. Are there any recommended suggested mechanics texts?

Yes, there are several highly recommended suggested mechanics texts, such as "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Mechanics" by Keith R. Symon, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.