Landau Series - Reviews and Feedback

In summary, the speaker has recently ordered the book "Mechanics" by Landau, which was recommended by their Classical Mechanics professor. The speaker asks for any feedback on the book and the other books in the series, particularly the volumes on QM and fields. The speaker shares their experience with reading chapters from "Mechanics", "Field Theory", and "QM non-rel" and praises Landau's approach of presenting fundamental ideas first before deriving everything else. They also mention that in their opinion, "Mechanics" and "Field Theory" are better than "QM" in terms of Landau's teaching style. They have not read "Statistical Physics" but have heard it is the best in the series. The speaker
Kalimaa23
Greetings,

I recently ordered "Mechanics", by Landau. It was recommened by my Classical Mechanics professor, and I was wondering whether any of you had experience with it.

As a second question, what are the other books in the series like? I'm particulary interested in the volumes on QM en fields, so any feedback would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've read several chapters of "mechanics","field theory" and "QM non-rel".I really love Landau's way----showing you the most fundamental ideas in the first place then deriving everything from them.
I often get puzzled when he says"It can be seen easily that...",but I learn a lot when I finally find out why it is "easy".
In my point of view,"mechanics" and "field theory" are better than "QM",I think dau's way is more suitable to present the well developed theories.Some people say "Statistical Physics" is the best in the series,but I've read it.
Anyway,enjoy them!

Last edited:

Hello,

I have used the Landau series in my undergraduate and graduate studies and I highly recommend it. The book on Mechanics is especially well-written and has a lot of challenging problems to help reinforce the concepts. I have also found the volumes on QM and fields to be very helpful and comprehensive. They cover a lot of material and provide a good balance between theory and application. Overall, I think the Landau series is a great resource for anyone studying physics. I hope you find it helpful as well. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the Landau series and how does it work?

The Landau series is a mathematical tool used to represent the behavior of a physical system near a critical point. It is based on the concept of a critical point, which is a point where a system undergoes a phase transition. The Landau series helps to describe the changes in the system's behavior as it approaches the critical point.

2. How is the Landau series used in scientific research?

The Landau series is commonly used in studies of phase transitions and critical phenomena in various physical systems, such as magnets, fluids, and alloys. It helps researchers to understand the behavior of these systems near a critical point and make predictions about their properties.

3. What are some advantages of using the Landau series in scientific analysis?

The Landau series provides a simple and efficient way to describe the behavior of a physical system near a critical point. It also allows for the identification of universal properties that are independent of the specific details of the system, making it a useful tool for comparing and understanding different physical systems.

4. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Landau series?

One limitation of the Landau series is that it is only applicable to systems that undergo a second-order phase transition. It also does not take into account the effects of fluctuations, which can play a significant role near a critical point. Some critics argue that the Landau series oversimplifies the complex behavior of physical systems and may not accurately represent real-world observations.

5. How is the Landau series related to other mathematical tools used in physics?

The Landau series is closely related to other mathematical tools used in physics, such as the Ginzburg-Landau theory and the renormalization group method. These tools all aim to describe the behavior of physical systems near a critical point and provide insights into the universal properties of these systems. However, each tool has its own specific applications and limitations.