How can I produce a net translational force on a ferromagnet?

In summary, producing a net translational force on a ferromagnet can be achieved by introducing an external magnetic field, as most external fields are not uniform and can cause the poles of the magnet to rotate, resulting in translation. However, in a large magnetic field like the Earth's, small magnets may not experience translational motion. Some aquatic bacteria have a built-in string of ferromagnets that allow them to orient themselves and move in a specific direction based on the Earth's magnetic field.
endersdouble

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's analogous to asking how you balance an egg on the tip of a pen.

Originally posted by endersdouble

Introduce an external magnetic field.

Any external field? I had some idea that a constant field would only torque the magnet, not put a translational on it...but not sure how to mathematically determine forces from field B on a ferromagnet M.

Originally posted by endersdouble

Uhh; push it with your finger!

... I had some idea that a constant field would only torque the magnet, not put a translational on it...but not sure how to mathematically determine forces from field B on a ferromagnet M.

Oh, you mean produce translational motion using an external field? :wink:

You are correct; generally a uniform magnetic field only produces a torque. However, most external fields are not uniform over much of a distance; so when the poles of the magnet rotate usually one pole is 'closer' to the stronger external pole and the entire magnet translates in that direction.

However, in a large B field like the earth, small magnets have no translational motion.

There is a species of aquatic bacteria that has been found to have a built-in string of 'permanent' ferromagnets inside it (about 1 micron in diameter) pointing with the North pole facing toward its 'head'.
The Earth's field doesn't 'pull' it either way, but simply rotates it to align with the Earth's North field. The bacteria has flaggella in its 'rear' that propells it forward as it points toward the Earth's North pole, which by the way, is on an angle into the earth. So the bacteria always burrows into the slim beneath the waters, keeping it away from the upper oxygen rich water that is toxic to them. Quite an interesting internal guidance system.

Creator

Last edited:

Originally posted by Creator

There is a species of aquatic bacteria that has been found to have a built-in string of 'permanent' ferromagnets inside it (about 1 micron in diameter) pointing with the North pole facing toward its 'head'.
The Earth's field doesn't 'pull' it either way, but simply rotates it to align with the Earth's North field. The bacteria has flaggella in its 'rear' that propells it forward as it points toward the Earth's North pole, which by the way, is on an angle into the earth. So the bacteria always burrows into the slim beneath the waters, keeping it away from the upper oxygen rich water that is toxic to them. Quite an interesting internal guidance system.

Creator
[/B]

The things you can learn on this site!

What is a ferromagnet?

A ferromagnet is a material that has a strong, permanent magnetic field due to the alignment of its atomic magnetic moments. Examples of ferromagnetic materials include iron, nickel, and cobalt.

You can produce a net translational force on a ferromagnet by using an external magnetic field. This field will interact with the magnetic moments of the ferromagnet, causing them to align in the same direction and creating a net force on the material.

What factors affect the strength of the translational force on a ferromagnet?

The strength of the translational force on a ferromagnet depends on several factors, including the strength of the external magnetic field, the size and shape of the ferromagnet, and the magnetic properties of the material itself.

Can the translational force on a ferromagnet be controlled?

Yes, the translational force on a ferromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the external magnetic field. This can be done by using electromagnets or permanent magnets.

What are some practical applications of producing a net translational force on a ferromagnet?

One common application of producing a net translational force on a ferromagnet is in electric motors, where the force is used to rotate a shaft. Ferromagnets are also used in magnetic levitation trains and in the production of computer hard drives.