Internet-based, on-line tutoring services: Opinions

In summary: Ultimately, the consensus seems to be that while online tutoring services may seem like a convenient and quick solution, they are not a substitute for putting in the effort to learn and understand the material on your own, with the guidance of your teacher. In summary, opinions among physicsforums members are divided regarding online tutoring service companies. While some see them as a helpful resource, others have concerns about their legitimacy and effectiveness. It is important for students to research and carefully consider these factors before using these services. Ultimately, the general consensus is that there are no shortcuts in education and students should prioritize seeking help from legitimate sources.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
What do many of physicsforums members think about the on-line tutoring service companies? Good, bad, not legitimate, reliable, unreliable, honest, risky for tutor or for student?...? Anyone here had any experience with them either as tutor or as student?

Science news on Phys.org
Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, you'd be better off just talking to your teacher and getting additional help. And it'll be free. And it'll be honest.

From what I've seen, the paid "tutoring" sites really have nothing to do with the student learning anything at all. The student just pays someone to do his/her homework, doesn't learn anything, breaks the school honor code, and subjects him/herself to the possibility of being expelled.

There really are no short-cuts in education: you need to do your own work, getting help from legitimate sources endorsed by the professor as necessary.

- Warren

As a member of physicsforums, I cannot speak for all members, but I have noticed that there are mixed opinions about online tutoring service companies. Some members believe that these companies are a valuable resource for students who need extra help with their studies. They provide convenience and flexibility, as students can access tutoring sessions from the comfort of their own homes. Additionally, these companies often have a diverse range of tutors with expertise in different subjects, making it easier for students to find the help they need.

On the other hand, there are also members who are skeptical about the legitimacy and reliability of these online tutoring services. They question the qualifications and expertise of the tutors hired by these companies, as well as the quality of the tutoring provided. Some members have also expressed concerns about the potential risks for both tutors and students, such as issues with payment and confidentiality.

Personally, I have not had any direct experience with online tutoring service companies, but I have heard both positive and negative experiences from other members. I believe that it is important for students to carefully research and consider the reputation and qualifications of these companies and their tutors before using their services. It is also a good idea to read reviews and ask for recommendations from others who have used these services before making a decision.

1. What is the purpose of internet-based, online tutoring services?

The purpose of internet-based, online tutoring services is to provide students with academic support and assistance remotely through the use of online platforms. This allows for convenient and flexible access to tutoring services, regardless of location or time constraints.

2. How do internet-based, online tutoring services differ from traditional in-person tutoring?

Internet-based, online tutoring services differ from traditional in-person tutoring in a few ways. First, online tutoring takes place virtually, whereas in-person tutoring is conducted in-person. Additionally, online tutoring often utilizes various digital tools and resources, such as video conferencing and online whiteboards, to facilitate the learning process.

3. Are internet-based, online tutoring services effective?

Yes, internet-based, online tutoring services can be highly effective. In fact, research has shown that online tutoring can be just as effective, if not more effective, than traditional in-person tutoring. This is due to the use of technology and personalized instruction that can cater to individual learning styles.

4. How do I know if internet-based, online tutoring services are right for me?

To determine if internet-based, online tutoring services are right for you, consider your learning style, schedule, and academic needs. If you prefer remote learning and require flexibility with your schedule, online tutoring may be a good fit for you. It is also helpful to research and read reviews of different online tutoring services to find one that aligns with your specific needs and learning goals.

5. How much do internet-based, online tutoring services cost?

The cost of internet-based, online tutoring services can vary depending on the provider and the type of tutoring services offered. Some services may charge an hourly rate, while others may offer package deals for a certain number of sessions. It is important to research and compare different options to find the most affordable and suitable option for your budget and academic needs.