Tension and compression in rigid bars

In summary, there are three bars each with weight W, connected together to form an equilateral triangle suspended from the ceiling at point A. The other two vertices, B and C, lie on a horizontal line. The goal is to draw a diagram of each bar separately, showing all the forces acting on each one, and calculate the compressive force in BC. While there may not be a noticeable compressive force in BC, it serves a purpose in preventing the diagonals from swinging together. The ceiling exerts a purely vertical force of 3W at point A, and each diagonal supports half of the weight of BC. By isolating joint B and using Newton's First Law, the unknown compression force in BC and the x and
mpassman
1. Three bars each has weight W. They are pinned together at the corners to form an equilateral triangle suspended from the ceiling at point A. So points B and C (the other two vertices) lie on a horizontal line. I need to draw a diagram of each bar separately, showing all the forces acting on each one, and calculate the compressive force in BC

I don't see why there would be a compressive force in BC, because any force would be horizontal, and the only acting forces are the weights, which are vertical, so have no horizontal component. Help!
With regards to forces acting on each bar, they all have their weight, which acts half way along its length and downwards. Will the force exerted on both AB and AC (the force at A) from the ceiling be purely vertical and be equal to 3W? At the other two joins, what are the reactions or tension effects? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mpassman said:
1. Three bars each has weight W. They are pinned together at the corners to form an equilateral triangle suspended from the ceiling at point A. So points B and C (the other two vertices) lie on a horizontal line. I need to draw a diagram of each bar separately, showing all the forces acting on each one, and calculate the compressive force in BC

I don't see why there would be a compressive force in BC, because any force would be horizontal, and the only acting forces are the weights, which are vertical, so have no horizontal component. Help!
With regards to forces acting on each bar, they all have their weight, which acts half way along its length and downwards. Will the force exerted on both AB and AC (the force at A) from the ceiling be purely vertical and be equal to 3W? At the other two joins, what are the reactions or tension effects? Thanks.
Imagine that BC was not there. The diagonals would swing together; BC is preventing them from doing so, so it must serve a purpose in preventing such a swing. You are correct about the 3W ceiling force. Draw a frree body diagram of each joint to determine the member forces. Note that the diagonals each support half the weight of the bottom chord BC.

OK, yes I take the point about swinging together, and instinctively I knew there was a compression, yet I can't seem to work out what it is acutally caused by. Please can you tell me what forces are acting horizontally and causing the compressive force?

mpassman said:
OK, yes I take the point about swinging together, and instinctively I knew there was a compression, yet I can't seem to work out what it is acutally caused by. Please can you tell me what forces are acting horizontally and causing the compressive force?
Look at joint B (isolate it). We know there is a vertical force of W/2 from BC acting down. There is also the unknown compression force in BC, and the unknown x and y components of the member force AB. Use Newton 1 in each direction to solve for these forces. You'll also have to know the value of the angle B.

What is tension and compression in rigid bars?

Tension and compression are two opposing forces that act on a rigid bar. Tension is a pulling force that stretches the bar, while compression is a pushing force that shortens the bar.

What causes tension and compression in rigid bars?

Tension and compression can be caused by external forces acting on the bar, such as weight or pressure, or by internal forces due to the bar's own weight or structural design.

How do tension and compression affect the behavior of rigid bars?

Tension and compression can cause deformation in rigid bars, which can lead to changes in length, shape, or both. These forces also determine the strength and stability of the bar.

What are the applications of tension and compression in rigid bars?

Tension and compression are important in many engineering and construction applications, such as bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also used in mechanical systems and machines.

How can tension and compression be calculated in rigid bars?

The magnitude of tension and compression can be calculated using equations based on the material properties of the bar, the applied forces, and the geometry of the bar. These calculations are essential in designing safe and efficient structures.