Elastic collision speed and time problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a head-on collision between two ice pucks, with one having a mass of 0.45 kg and a speed of 3 m/s, and the other having a mass of 0.9 kg. The problem is solved using the momentum equation, but there is confusion over the values determined for the speeds. However, it is later clarified that the values do match up.
fizzzzzzzzzzzy
A 0.45 kg ice puck, moving east with a speed of 3 m/s, has a head-on collision with a 0.9 kg ice puck. Assuming a perfectly elastic collision, what will be the speed and direction of each object?

Alright, so the first time i go through this problem i solve it, no problem. the answer is 1 m/s west and 2 m/s east and that's also the answer in the book. but then i go back and i realize something weird. i set up the momentum equation like normal so that it's
0.45*3 = 0.9v1 + 0.45 v2
and then you can make it
0.45*3 = 0.45*2v1 + 0.45 v2
divide both sides by 0.45
3 = 2v1 + v2
and you get that but the values determined for the speeds don't match up with that. What's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
fizzzzzzzzzzzy said:
A 0.45 kg ice puck, moving east with a speed of 3 m/s, has a head-on collision with a 0.9 kg ice puck. Assuming a perfectly elastic collision, what will be the speed and direction of each object?

Alright, so the first time i go through this problem i solve it, no problem. the answer is 1 m/s west and 2 m/s east and that's also the answer in the book. but then i go back and i realize something weird. i set up the momentum equation like normal so that it's
0.45*3 = 0.9v1 + 0.45 v2
and then you can make it
0.45*3 = 0.45*2v1 + 0.45 v2
divide both sides by 0.45
3 = 2v1 + v2
and you get that but the values determined for the speeds don't match up with that. What's going on?

they match. If v1 is 2m/s east and v2 is 1m/s west... v1 = 2. v2 =-1.

3 = 2(2) + (-1)

It is possible that there is a mistake in the calculation or in the values used in the equation. It is important to double check all calculations and make sure that the correct values are being used in the equation. Additionally, it is important to consider the direction of the velocities and make sure they are correctly represented in the equation. If the problem still persists, it may be helpful to consult a peer or instructor for assistance in solving the problem.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which two or more objects collide and bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy.

How do you calculate the speed of an elastic collision?

To calculate the speed of an elastic collision, you need to know the initial velocities and masses of the objects involved. The formula for calculating the speed is v = (m1*u1 + m2*u2)/(m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or heat. Inelastic collisions also result in objects sticking together, while elastic collisions result in objects bouncing off each other.

How do you determine the time of an elastic collision?

To determine the time of an elastic collision, you need to know the distance between the objects and their velocities. The formula for calculating the time is t = d/v, where t is the time, d is the distance, and v is the relative velocity between the objects.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some examples of elastic collisions in everyday life include a game of billiards, a bouncing ball, and a trampoline. In each of these scenarios, the objects involved collide and bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy.