Can Cauchy's Integral Formula Be Used for Contours Larger Than the Given Circle?

In summary: This is because the function is analytic over the entire contour C and thus the integral over any contour enclosing it would be equal to zero. In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a contour integral using Cauchy's integral formula for a circular contour |z| = 3. The question is raised about what happens if the value of w is greater than 3, and it is determined that in this case, the value of the integral would be zero since the function is analytic over the entire contour. The conversation also clarifies that the integral over a bigger contour would not give the same value as the circular contour, and thus the problem would need to be divided into two cases.
bodensee9
Hello:

I am wondering about the following:

Let C be the circle |z| = 3. the contour integral

g(w) = integral on C of (2*z^2-z-2/z-w)dz can be evaluated by cauchy's integral formula. I am wondering what happens if w is greater than 3.

Would you get this: f = 2*z^2-z-2. This is an entire function.

because the contour integral of an analytic function f around 2 simply connected contours is equal, so for a contour C2 that is greater than |z| = 3, the integral of f over that contour would be equal to the integral of f over contour C. So, this means that g(w) would still give you the value of the contour integral even though your contour covered a greater area than |z| = 3. So, this would mean that for w > 3, you can still use the Cauchy formula and get 2*pi*i*2*w^2-w-2? Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral around two contours are the same only if they enclose the same poles and wind in the same direction. If |w|>3 then its not in your circular contour. If another contour does enclose the pole then its value is not the same as the circular contour.

Cauchy's Formula

Hello,

but sorry, could you give me some hints as to how to do the problem then?

I guess what i mean is, why can't i draw a big circle that covers all |w| >3 and still use the same integral formula? Thanks.

Because you want the integral over the circle C, not the integral over the bigger contour. You'll have to divide the problem into two cases. |w|<3 and |w|>3.

Oh, okay. so would the value be zero then? since the function, if |w| >3, is analytic throughout C (|z| = 3), and the integral of an analytic function over a simply connected closed contour = 0 if f is analytic everywhere inside and on the boundaries of the contour? Thanks.

Yes, the value would be zero for |w|>3.

1. What is the Cauchy Integral formula?

The Cauchy Integral formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the values of a complex function inside a closed contour to the values of the function on the boundary of the contour. It is a powerful tool for calculating complex integrals and has many applications in mathematics and physics.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral formula derived?

The Cauchy Integral formula is derived from Cauchy's theorem, which states that if a function is analytic inside a closed contour, then the integral of the function around the contour is equal to the sum of its values inside the contour. By applying this theorem to a small circular contour around a point, we can derive the Cauchy Integral formula.

3. What is the importance of the Cauchy Integral formula?

The Cauchy Integral formula is important because it allows us to calculate complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It is also used in the proof of many other theorems in complex analysis, and has applications in areas such as engineering, physics, and fluid dynamics.

4. Can the Cauchy Integral formula be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral formula can be extended to higher dimensions. In two dimensions, it becomes the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, and in three dimensions, it becomes the Cauchy Integral formula for a three-dimensional region. These extensions have similar properties and applications to the original Cauchy Integral formula.

5. Are there any variations of the Cauchy Integral formula?

Yes, there are variations of the Cauchy Integral formula, such as the Cauchy Integral formula for a multiply-connected region, which is used when the contour encloses more than one point. There is also the Cauchy Integral formula for a function with a singularity inside the contour, which takes into account the behavior of the function at that singularity.