Finding the Inverse of a Function

In summary, we are given a function f(x) = ln(x/(x+2)) and asked to find its inverse function. We first simplify the function to f(x) = ln(x/(x-2)), then express it in the form of ln(x/(x+a)) to solve for a. Next, we use the properties of inverse functions (the domain of the inverse is the range of the original function and vice versa) to guide us in finding the inverse function. By swapping x and y and solving for y, we get f^-1(x) = (e^x)(y+2), but this is not the final inverse function. We must continue to solve for y to get f^-1(x) = e
matadorqk

Homework Statement

The function f is defined for [tex]x>2[/tex] by [tex] f(x)=\ln x+\ln(x-2)-\ln(x^{2}-4)[/tex]
a. Express f(x) in the form of [tex](\ln\frac{x}{x+a})[/tex]

b. Find an expression for [tex]f^{-1}(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I simplified it to:

[tex]f(x)=\ln(\frac{x^{2}-2x}{x^{2}-4})[/tex]

I can't figure what to do, ill keep thinking

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you mean you simplified it to log((x-2)/(x^2-4)). Factor the denominator. What was for dinner?

Dick said:
I hope you mean you simplified it to log((x-2)/(x^2-4)). Factor the denominator. What was for dinner?

Im sorry, I left an ln x out, for some reason I typed \lnx and it appeared as nothing. Should I still factor the denominator? ~ I had chow mein with chicken :D

I love chicken chow mein. You can still factor the denominator and cancel the x-2 in the numerator.

Dick said:
I love chicken chow mein. You can still factor the denominator and cancel the x-2 in the numerator.

Oh I get it!

So [tex] f(x)=\ln \frac {x(x-2)}{(x+2)(x-2)}[/tex]

So [tex] f(x)=\ln \frac{x}{x+2} [/tex]

Awesome, part A solved. Now find the inverse..
Give me a sec here

Argh, the only way i know of obtaining inverses is by flipping x and y's.. here it seems a tidbit different. I know that:

The domain of the inverse is the range of the original function.
The range of the inverse is the domain of the original function.

How am I supposed to find the inverse :S, I get that [tex] f^{-1}(x)=(e^{x})(y+2)..[/tex]

Last edited:
Any hints?

matadorqk said:
Oh I get it!

So [tex] f(x)=\ln \frac {x(x-2)}{(x+2)(x-2)}[/tex]

So [tex] f(x)=\ln \frac{x}{x+2} [/tex]

Awesome, part A solved. Now find the inverse..
Give me a sec here

Argh, the only way i know of obtaining inverses is by flipping x and y's.. here it seems a tidbit different. I know that:

The domain of the inverse is the range of the original function.
The range of the inverse is the domain of the original function.

How am I supposed to find the inverse :S, I get that [tex] f^{-1}(x)=(e^{x})(y+2)..[/tex]

No, a function of "x" cannot have a "y" in it!
You have to start with [tex]y= ln(\frac{x}{x+2})[/tex]
The first step is, just as you say, to "swap" x and y:
[tex]x= ln(\frac{y}{y+2}[/tex]
Now solve for y. You need to get rid of the log:
[tex]e^x= \frac{y}{y+2}[/tex]
Now get rid of the fraction by multiplying both sides by y+ 2.
[tex]e^x(y+2)= y[/tex]
This is where you stopped, right? But that "y" on the right is NOT the inverse function because you still haven't solved for y.
[tex]e^xy + 2e^x= y[/tex]
Now get y by itself on the left, with no y on the right. Can you do that?
(How would you solve ay+ b= y for y?)

1. What are natural logarithms and what are they used for?

Natural logarithms, denoted as ln(x), are logarithms with a base of e, the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718. They are used to solve exponential equations and model various phenomena in science, such as population growth and radioactive decay.

2. What is the difference between a natural logarithm and a common logarithm?

A natural logarithm has a base of e, while a common logarithm has a base of 10. This means that the natural logarithm calculates the power to which e must be raised to equal a given number, while the common logarithm calculates the power to which 10 must be raised.

3. How do you graph a function with a natural logarithm?

To graph a function with a natural logarithm, first set up a coordinate plane with the x-axis and y-axis. Then, plug in different values for x and use a calculator to find the corresponding y-values using the natural logarithm formula. Plot these points and connect them to create a smooth curve.

4. Can a natural logarithm be negative or zero?

Yes, a natural logarithm can be negative or zero. For a negative number, the result would be an imaginary number. For a zero, the result would be negative infinity.

5. What is the relationship between exponential functions and natural logarithms?

Natural logarithms are the inverse functions of exponential functions. This means that they "undo" each other, and can be used to solve exponential equations or find the input value of an exponential function given the output value.