Definite integrals of absolute values

In summary, the problem is to find the definite integral of |x^2+x-2| from -2 to 2. To solve this, we first use the definition of absolute value and determine that the function is negative from -2 to 1 and positive from 1 to 2. Then, we split the integral into two parts and integrate each separately, taking into account the sign of the function in each interval. The final answer is 19/3.
Hurricane3

Homework Statement

[tex]\int|x^{2}+x-2|dx[/tex] from -2 to 2

Homework Equations

The integral of f(x) from a to b = F(b) - F(a)
|x| = { x if x >= 0; -x if x < 0

---

Ok, I don't know how to do the definite integrals of absolute values.. was never shown an example of it in class, but I kind of have an idea...

we know that
|x| = { x if x >= 0; -x if x < 0,

and then I am lost from here...

btw, x= 1, -2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to apply your definition of abs, you'll first have to figure out where x^2+x-2 is positive and negative.

quick sketches of the function will help you...

ok so from -2 to 1, it is negative and from 1 to 2 it is positive...

do i just split up the integral from here?
like from -2 to 1, its negative, so the integral would be negative, and from 1 to 2, it is postive so the integral would be postive...

and just from inspection, would the integral be equal to 0 because its symmetric and one is a negative the other is postive...

The integral of x^2+x-2 from -2 to 1 IS negative. The integral of |x^2+x-2| is not. Do you see why?

nvm. i got 19/3...

Last edited:
Dick said:
The integral of x^2+x-2 from -2 to 1 IS negative. The integral of |x^2+x-2| is not. Do you see why?

I don't know if I do..

is it because the absolute value of any function is always positive?

Well from 2 to one it is +ve so you want to get
[tex]\int_1 ^{2} (x^2+x-2)dx[/tex]

and from 1 to -2 it is -ve so you want to find

[tex]\int_{-2} ^{1} -(x^2+x-2)dx[/tex]

and sum them up

1. What is a definite integral of absolute values?

A definite integral of absolute values is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve of an absolute value function over a specific interval on the x-axis. It is denoted by ∫|f(x)|dx and is calculated by finding the signed area between the x-axis and the curve.

2. How is the definite integral of absolute values calculated?

To calculate the definite integral of absolute values, you first need to determine the interval over which you want to find the area. Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or the properties of integrals to solve the integral. If the function is piecewise, you will need to split the interval and solve for each piece separately.

3. What is the significance of definite integrals of absolute values?

Definite integrals of absolute values have many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration in kinematics problems, as well as areas, volumes, and work in calculus and physics problems.

4. How do you interpret the result of a definite integral of absolute values?

The result of a definite integral of absolute values represents the signed area between the x-axis and the curve over the specified interval. If the result is positive, it indicates that the area above the x-axis is greater than the area below, and vice versa if the result is negative.

5. Can the definite integral of absolute values be negative?

Yes, the definite integral of absolute values can be negative. This occurs when the area below the x-axis is greater than the area above, resulting in a negative signed area. The absolute value function does not necessarily produce positive values, so the integral can be negative in certain cases.