Was Sherman Austin unfairly punished for his website content?

• News
  • Thread starter member 5645
  • Start date
In summary, Sherman Austin ran a website that allowed others to post messages, and someone posted a link to a page containing bomb making instructions. Austin did not post the link or have any knowledge of the information. However, he was charged and convicted under a law that makes it illegal to distribute illegal information with the intent to commit a federal crime. He is currently serving a felony sentence and will have restrictions on his parole, including not being able to use a computer or associate with others who wish to change the government. The media did not come to his aid, his property was destroyed and he was not given a fair plea deal. This case raises concerns about freedom of speech and the actions of the government.
member 5645
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sherman+austin

TONS of info out there on this.

Basically, this guy ran a website with a script that allowed others to post messages on it (wow!). Someone put a link to a page that included basic bomb making instructions.
SHERMAN AUSTIN DID NOT POST THE LINK, NOR DID HIS SITE CONTAIN THE ALLEGED INFORMATION.
A law passed in 1997, sponsored by one Diane Feinstein (sp?) , makes it illegal to distribute illegal information with the intent to commit a federal crime.

This guy's site was an anarchy site.

He is presently serving a felony sentence for 1 year, and when he gets out, his parole has all kinds of inane limits like not being able to use a computer, and not associating with others that wish to change the government.

Things that disturb me is:
The media didn't come to this guy's aide. No one did.
His property was destroyed, and then told it was lost.
He didn't even make the link, or the page. It would be like charging physicsforums for my posts.
The prosecutor looked ot push a deal of ONE MONTH in prison, and the judge decided to give him the max and refused to acknowledge the plea deal.

This guy got SCREWED. I think his ideas on having no government are lame, but I don't think this is right at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woohoo! Freedom of speech! Yay!

Adam said:
Woohoo! Freedom of speech! Yay!

More than you've got.

Depends how you view it. We don't have guaranteed freedom of speech here. On the other hand, we also don't have a government stamping it out at every opportunity.

http://www.progressive.org/webex/mcwatch.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Just chiding you a little, Adam :)

phatmonky said:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sherman+austin

TONS of info out there on this.

Basically, this guy ran a website with a script that allowed others to post messages on it (wow!). Someone put a link to a page that included basic bomb making instructions.
SHERMAN AUSTIN DID NOT POST THE LINK, NOR DID HIS SITE CONTAIN THE ALLEGED INFORMATION.
A law passed in 1997, sponsored by one Diane Feinstein (sp?) , makes it illegal to distribute illegal information with the intent to commit a federal crime.

This guy's site was an anarchy site.

He is presently serving a felony sentence for 1 year, and when he gets out, his parole has all kinds of inane limits like not being able to use a computer, and not associating with others that wish to change the government.

Things that disturb me is:
The media didn't come to this guy's aide. No one did.
His property was destroyed, and then told it was lost.
He didn't even make the link, or the page. It would be like charging physicsforums for my posts.
The prosecutor looked ot push a deal of ONE MONTH in prison, and the judge decided to give him the max and refused to acknowledge the plea deal.

This guy got SCREWED. I think his ideas on having no government are lame, but I don't think this is right at all.
A vote for Bush is a vote for this sort of thing.

Zero said:
A vote for Bush is a vote for this sort of thing.

Perhaps, but Kerry is even more pro lawyer than Bush.

Maybe you mean about malpractice caps and such? But that's a different kind of lawyer, not a prosecuter over the top but a suer over the top (perhaps). The latter kind might raise our helath costs (but not as much as is sometimes threatened) but the former type inflicts tyranny on us. There is just no other word for what happened to this guy. Hey whatever happened to the fourth amendment?

selfAdjoint said:
Maybe you mean about malpractice caps and such? But that's a different kind of lawyer, not a prosecuter over the top but a suer over the top (perhaps). The latter kind might raise our helath costs (but not as much as is sometimes threatened) but the former type inflicts tyranny on us. There is just no other word for what happened to this guy. Hey whatever happened to the fourth amendment?

Tyranny in the form of physical lockdown or financial/emotional lockdown is not freedom. My thoughts on Kerry are more directed towards worrying about trial lawyers suing me every second - however, I could be over sensitive to this because I live, LITERALLY, in the highest lawyer per capita city in the USA :uhh:

Anyways, back on topic. Yeah, I don't know what happened. Or actually, I do.
My dad had the same thing done to him and is now a felon, just as Mr. Austin is. While my father had nothing to do with Anarchy sites, he testified and made tons of calls to get a senator (that my dad met a couple times via his job for the government) to look into what was happening on behalf of these other two guys. Next thing you know the US attorneyis going after my dad. They trump up charges, offer a low plea, the judge denies and gives the max despite proven purjored testimony, and here we are. They don't stick to the judge's deal and double restitution, take assets that they admitted were illegal to take, and basically stuck it to him. The process of turning around such wrongs is a long and tedious one, but I'd rather talk about such things after the fact, not right now :smile:

1. What did Sherman Austin do to be punished for his website content?

Sherman Austin was the founder of the website Raisethefist.com, which contained articles and information about political activism and protests. He was charged and convicted of distributing information on how to make explosives, which violated the Patriot Act.

2. Was Sherman Austin's punishment justified?

This is a controversial question and opinions may vary. Some argue that his punishment was justified based on the fact that he distributed information on how to make explosives, which could potentially pose a threat to public safety. Others argue that he was unfairly targeted and that his freedom of speech was violated.

3. How long was Sherman Austin in prison for his website content?

Sherman Austin was sentenced to one year in federal prison for violating the Patriot Act. He also served three years of probation and was prohibited from using the internet or associating with any anarchist or activist groups during that time.

4. Did Sherman Austin's case set a precedent for internet censorship?

Some argue that Sherman Austin's case set a precedent for internet censorship, as it showed that the government could use the Patriot Act to prosecute individuals for their online activities. However, others argue that this case was unique and does not necessarily reflect a broader trend of internet censorship.

5. How did the public respond to Sherman Austin's case?

Sherman Austin's case sparked a lot of controversy and debate, with some seeing him as a martyr for free speech and others viewing him as a potential threat to public safety. There were also protests and petitions in support of Austin, as well as criticism of the government's use of the Patriot Act in this case.