Finding the derivatives of functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivatives of functions and the person is asking for someone to check their answers to three questions. They provide their answers and ask for guidance on the last two questions.
lamerali
Hi, I'm working with finding the derivatives of functions, which I'm not very comfortable with; if someone could please check my answers to the following questions i would be VERY grateful! Thank you! :)

find the derivative of the following function:

Question 1:

y = [tex]\frac{ 2^{x} }{ e^{x} }[/tex]

My Answer

y1 = [tex]\frac{ e^{x} . ln2 . 2^{x} + 2^{x} . e^{x} }{ e^{x}^{2} }[/tex]
= [tex]\frac{ 2^{x} (ln2 + 1) }{ e^{x} }[/tex]

Question 2:

f(x) = 2x ln(x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 5)

My answer

f [tex]^{1}[/tex] (x) = 2ln(x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 5) + (2x) . [tex]\frac{1}{x^{2} + 5}[/tex] . (2x)

= 2 ln(x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 5) + [tex]\frac{4x^{2}}{x^{2} + 5}[/tex]

Question 3:

g(x) = [tex]\frac{ln x}{e^{x}^{2} + 2}[/tex]

My answer:

g[tex]^{1}[/tex](x) = [tex]\frac{(e^{x}^{2} + 2) . (1/x) - lnx . 2xe^{x}^{2}}{(e^{x}^{2} + 2)^{2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{e^{x}^{2} + 2}{x} - lnx . 2xe^{x}^{2}}{(e^{x}^{2} + 2)^{2}}[/tex]

for the last two questions I'm not sure if i simplified enough...if anyone could guide me in the right direction where needed i'd really appreciate it! thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
lamerali said:
Hi, I'm working with finding the derivatives of functions, which I'm not very comfortable with; if someone could please check my answers to the following questions i would be VERY grateful! Thank you! :)

find the derivative of the following function:

Question 1:

y = [tex]\frac{ 2^{x} }{ e^{x} }[/tex]

My Answer

y1 = [tex]\frac{ e^{x} . ln2 . 2^{x} + 2^{x} . e^{x} }{ e^{x}^{2} }[/tex]
Almost right you need "-" , not "+" in the numerator- quotient rule: (u/v)'= (u'v- uv')/v^2.

= [tex]\frac{ 2^{x} (ln2 + 1) }{ e^{x} }[/tex]

Question 2:

f(x) = 2x ln(x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 5)

My answer

f [tex]^{1}[/tex] (x) = 2ln(x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 5) + (2x) . [tex]\frac{1}{x^{2} + 5}[/tex] . (2x)

= 2 ln(x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 5) + [tex]\frac{4x^{2}}{x^{2} + 5}[/tex]
Yes, that looks good.

Question 3:

g(x) = [tex]\frac{ln x}{e^{x}^{2} + 2}[/tex]

My answer:

g[tex]^{1}[/tex](x) = [tex]\frac{(e^{x}^{2} + 2) . (1/x) - lnx . 2xe^{x}^{2}}{(e^{x}^{2} + 2)^{2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{e^{x}^{2} + 2}{x} - lnx . 2xe^{x}^{2}}{(e^{x}^{2} + 2)^{2}}[/tex]

for the last two questions I'm not sure if i simplified enough...if anyone could guide me in the right direction where needed i'd really appreciate it! thanks in advance!
The third problem also looks good to me.

Great! Thank you HallsofIvy! :D

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It gives us the slope of the tangent line at that point, which indicates how the function is changing at that particular point.

2. Why do we need to find derivatives of functions?

Finding derivatives of functions is essential in many areas of science and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of a function, its rate of change, and its critical points. It also allows us to solve optimization problems and model real-world phenomena.

3. How do we find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, we use the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the ratio of the change in the function's output to the change in its input. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. We can also use tables of derivatives for common functions.

4. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it helps us find the derivative of a function within a function.

5. Are there any common mistakes when finding derivatives of functions?

Yes, there are some common mistakes that can occur when finding derivatives of functions. These include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not simplifying the expression enough, and making calculation errors. It is essential to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.