ElectroMagnetic Induction - HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses a 20cm x 20cm square loop of wire with a resistance of 0.50\Omega, lying in the xy-plane with a uniform magnetic field parallel to the z-axis given by B=0.80y^{2}t. The question at hand is determining the size of the induced current in the loop at t = 0.50s, which can be found by integrating the non-uniform B field to find the enclosed flux and using the second equation given to calculate the emf and current.
krugertown
A 20cm x 20cm square loop of wire lies in the xy-plane with its bottom edge on the x-axis. The resistance of the loop is 0.50[tex]\Omega[/tex]. A uniform magnetic field parallell to the z-axis is given by B=0.80y[tex]^{2}[/tex]t, where B is in tesla, y in meters, and t in seconds. What is the size of the induced current in the loop at t = 0.50s?
Induciton of Solonoid = ((magnetic constant)N^2A)/I
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = d[tex]\phi[/tex]/dt
[tex]\phi[/tex] = magnetic fluxi thought first i would need to differentiate the original equation to find the emf of the loop and hence the current.
but that's where i got stuck? where does the y value come in?

once I've got the current i can find the induced current but am struggling with how to get the emf of the loop!

help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The B field is non-uniform and it's value depends on y. You will have to integrate it to find the enclosed flux. Your second equation gives the emf (although you left off the negative sign). That and the resistance give the current.

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. I can provide some guidance and clarification on how to approach this question.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of electromagnetic induction. This is the production of an electromotive force (emf) in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. In this case, the square loop of wire is the conductor and the changing magnetic field is given by the equation B=0.80y^{2}t.

To find the induced current in the loop at t=0.50s, we need to use the equation for induced emf, which is given by \epsilon = -N\frac{d\phi}{dt}, where N is the number of turns in the loop and \phi is the magnetic flux. In this case, we have a single turn in the loop, so N = 1.

The magnetic flux, \phi, is the product of the magnetic field strength and the area of the loop. Since the loop is in the xy-plane and the magnetic field is parallel to the z-axis, we can find the area of the loop by taking the product of its length and width, which is 20cm x 20cm = 0.04m^2.

Now, we need to find the magnetic field strength at t=0.50s. To do this, we plug in t=0.50s into the given equation for B. This gives us B=0.80(0.50)^{2}(0.50) = 0.10T.

Substituting the values we have found into the equation for induced emf, we get \epsilon = -(1)(0.10)(0.04) = -0.004V.

Since the resistance of the loop is given as 0.50\Omega, we can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to find the induced current, which is I=\frac{\epsilon}{R} = \frac{-0.004}{0.50} = -0.008A.

Therefore, the size of the induced current in the loop at t=0.50s is 0.008A. It is important to note that the negative sign indicates that the current is flowing in the opposite direction to the magnetic field.

I hope this explanation helps you to understand the concept of electromagnetic induction and how to apply it to this

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current or voltage in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

According to Faraday's law of induction, when a conductor is moved through a magnetic field, or when the magnetic field around a conductor is changed, an electric current will be induced in the conductor.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is used in a variety of devices, such as generators, motors, transformers, and induction cooktops.

What factors affect the amount of induced current in a conductor?

The amount of induced current is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the conductor, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field lines.

How is electromagnetic induction related to Faraday's law and Lenz's law?

Faraday's law states that the induced voltage in a circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current is such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that produced it.