Help for introductory books for an economist-philosopher

In summary, the speaker is looking for book recommendations for a solid general introduction to basic physics and is interested in a more theoretical approach rather than an applied one. They have a background in Calculus, Real Analysis, and linear algebra, but are weaker in geometry. They are also interested in the philosophy of science and are looking for demanding books rather than simplified versions. The suggested books are The Feynman Lectures on Physics and The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose. Both are highly recommended and can be read separately without any prior knowledge.
cuak2000
Hey!
I know there are a lot of book recomendations in this site, but I thought my background
is sufficiently strange to ask for a special answer.
I've got my Calculus, basic Real Analysis and linear algebra OK.
I'm rather weak in geometry though, but I feel ok learning new stuff in maths.
I have some basic knowledge on Physics, but I've never taken a college course.
I'm interested in a solid general introduction on basic concepts. I'm interested in general in philosophy of science, so I'd rather have a theoretic oriented book than an applied one.
I'm looking for, I hope, demanding books, rather than washed-down versions.

Thanks for your time!

cd

Physics news on Phys.org
For an introduction to baisc physics, try The Feynman Lectures on Physics,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805390456/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

For a look at the state-of-the-art physics and the mathematics underlying state-of-the-art physics, try The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0679454438/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You don't have to read Feynman before reading Penrose. Although both Feynman and Penrose are quite demanding, they are also quite rewarding. Read the reviews.

Thanks for your reply!
I've read a bit of the Feynman lectures, and it has certainly been a rewarding effort.
I haven't seen the book by Penrose, but I'll check it out.

cd

1. What are some recommended introductory books for an economist-philosopher?

Some recommended introductory books for an economist-philosopher include "Economics: The User's Guide" by Ha-Joon Chang, "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith, "The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money" by John Maynard Keynes, "Capitalism and Freedom" by Milton Friedman, and "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations" by David Hume.

2. Are there any books that combine both economics and philosophy?

Yes, there are several books that combine both economics and philosophy, such as "Economics as a Moral Science" by Jean Tirole, "Justice, Institutions, and Luck: The Site, Ground, and Scope of Equality" by Kok-Chor Tan, and "Economics and Ethics: An Introduction" by Amitava Krishna Dutt and Charles K. Wilber.

3. Can you recommend any books specifically focusing on the relationship between economics and ethics?

Some books specifically focusing on the relationship between economics and ethics include "The Moral Foundation of Economic Behavior" by David C. Rose, "The Moral Consequences of Economic Growth" by Benjamin M. Friedman, and "Markets, Morals, and Policy-Making: A New Defense of Free-Market Economics" by James R. Otteson.

4. Are there any books that provide a historical perspective on the intersection of economics and philosophy?

Yes, there are several books that provide a historical perspective on the intersection of economics and philosophy, such as "The History of Economic Thought: A Reader" by Steven G. Medema and Warren J. Samuels, "The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times, and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers" by Robert L. Heilbroner, and "The Philosophy of Economics: An Anthology" by Daniel M. Hausman.

5. Are there any introductory books on economics and philosophy that are accessible for non-experts?

Yes, there are many introductory books on economics and philosophy that are accessible for non-experts, such as "Economics: The Basics" by Tony Cleaver, "The Philosophy of Economics: An Introduction" by Julian Reiss, and "Economics and Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction" by Partha Dasgupta.