Irodov's Problems in General Physics

In summary, the problem involves a motorboat going downstream and then turning back after 60 minutes. It passes a raft at a distance of 6km from its starting point. The goal is to find the flow velocity assuming the engine runs at a constant rate. The relevant equations are average velocity, average speed, and displacement. The average velocity is 6km per hour and the displacement is 6km, but the average speed is unknown.
abhikesbhat

Homework Statement

A motorboat is going downstream overcame a raft at a Point A; t=60 min later it turned back and after some time passed the raft at a distance l=6km from point A. Find the flow velocity assuming the duty of the engine to be constant.

Homework Equations

Average Velocity, Average Speed, Displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture and labeled everything. I know the average velocity of the motorboat is 6km per hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the displacement is 6km. What I am having trouble with is finding the average speed of the motorboat.Thanks for any help

Then I used the equation:
Average Velocity = Displacement / Time
to solve for the displacement, which is the distance traveled by the motorboat. Since the motorboat traveled downstream for 60 minutes and then turned back, I calculated the total time as 120 minutes or 2 hours. Therefore, the displacement would be 6km/hour * 2 hours = 12 km.
Now, using the equation:
Average Velocity = Displacement / Time
I can solve for the flow velocity, which is the speed of the water. Rearranging the equation, I get:
Flow Velocity = Displacement / Time
Plugging in the values, I get:
Flow Velocity = 12 km / 2 hours
Flow Velocity = 6 km/hour
Therefore, the flow velocity is 6 km/hour.
This solution assumes that the motorboat and the raft are moving in a straight line and that there are no other external factors affecting their motion. If the motion is more complex, additional equations and variables may need to be considered. Additionally, it is important to note that the duty of the engine being constant is an idealized assumption and may not always be accurate in real-world situations. Further experiments and measurements may be necessary to confirm the calculated flow velocity.

1. What is "Irodov's Problems in General Physics"?

"Irodov's Problems in General Physics" is a well-known physics textbook written by Russian physicist, I.E. Irodov. It is a collection of challenging problems in various areas of physics, aimed at undergraduate and graduate students.

2. What makes "Irodov's Problems in General Physics" unique compared to other physics textbooks?

"Irodov's Problems" is known for its difficult and complex problems, which require a deep understanding of physics principles and creative problem-solving skills. It also covers a wide range of topics and has been used by many students and physicists as a valuable resource for developing their physics skills.

3. Can "Irodov's Problems in General Physics" be used as a standalone textbook for studying physics?

While "Irodov's Problems" contains a comprehensive collection of problems, it is not meant to replace a traditional textbook. It is more suitable as a supplement to a standard physics textbook, providing additional practice and challenges for students.

4. Is "Irodov's Problems in General Physics" suitable for self-study?

"Irodov's Problems" can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in physics before attempting the problems. It is also helpful to have access to a solutions manual or consult with a physics instructor for guidance.

5. Are the problems in "Irodov's Problems in General Physics" relevant to modern physics?

While the textbook was first published in 1981, the problems in "Irodov's Problems" are still relevant to modern physics. They cover fundamental principles and concepts that are still used in current research and applications. However, some of the problems may require additional knowledge of recent developments in physics to solve.