Can I Apply to Graduate School in a Different Field than My Bachelor's Degree?

• Thread starter vectorcube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bachelor
In summary: But I didn't even know what I wanted to do with a JD, so that was just a bad idea all around.In summary, the individual in the conversation has a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics of computation from UCLA and is unsure of what to do with this degree. They have an interest in philosophy and may consider pursuing a Master's degree in the subject, but are uncertain if graduate schools would accept them without a Bachelor's in philosophy. They are also interested in becoming a neuroscientist but do not have a degree in the field. They are wondering if they need to obtain a second Bachelor's degree in order to apply for graduate school in neuroscience. They are also curious if it is possible to apply to graduate school in a subject
vectorcube
Well, i have a B.S in mathematics of computation form ucla. Large part of my education had been taking a whole bunch of mathematics, and computer science courses.

I don ` t really know what i am going to do with this degree( Well, i know, but i am not very happy about the prospect).

I have an a lot of interest in philosophy, and i might plan to get a master ` s in philosophy, but i don ` t know if graduate school would take me. Should i apply for graduate school in philosophy? Do they need a bachelor in philosophy?

I am interested in being a neuroscientist, but again, but i am confronted with the same kind of problem. I don ` t have a degree in neuroscience. How can i apply for graduate school in neuroscience? Do i need to get a second bachelor?

In general, can i apply to to graduate school at subject A, given that i only have bachelor at subject B, such that A is not equal to B? If not, then do i need to apply for a second bachelor at subject A, and then apply for graduate school subject A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
In general, it depends on the individual programs' admission requirements, which likely vary. I would suggest you start looking at graduate programs and when you find particular ones you're interested in, look at their admission requirements. You might even want to correspond or speak with graduate advisors in each department to find out where you stand. Some programs may officially require one degree, but may make exceptions for outstanding candidates from other fields whom they feel can pick up a few necessary undergraduate courses along the way.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that graduate admissions is a competative process, and if you don't fit the exact requirements, you're facing an uphill battle.

vectorcube said:
I don ` t really know what i am going to do with this degree( Well, i know, but i am not very happy about the prospect).

I have an a lot of interest in philosophy, and i might plan to get a master ` s in philosophy, but i don ` t know if graduate school would take me. Should i apply for graduate school in philosophy? Do they need a bachelor in philosophy?

I am interested in being a neuroscientist, but again, but i am confronted with the same kind of problem. I don ` t have a degree in neuroscience. How can i apply for graduate school in neuroscience? Do i need to get a second bachelor?

Are you serious? You don't like your prospects with a computational math degree, so you're going to add a philosophy masters to it? But you can't decide between that and neuroscience??

You don't need a second bachelor, you need a plan that actually leaves you in a different place than you started.

I'm a philosophy major and seriously considered philosophy graduate school. A master's in philosophy will not get you anywhere except potentially into a PhD program. PhD programs in philosophy have about a 50% attrition rate and graduates have slim prospects of getting jobs. Graduates from typical state universities with philosophy PhDs are lucky to get jobs teaching in community colleges. Most philosophy PhDs change careers and do not use their PhDs at all.

The philosophy PhDs who do find jobs will continue to work like they are in grad school until they earn tenure, which most likely will never happen. They will do so at a salary on average equivalent to the salary paid to undergraduate engineering grads.

See http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/perspective.asp for a slightly older view. Things have gotten more competitive since then. Much of what you read about physics PhDs on here applies to philosophy PhDs as well. Note also that admission to philosophy grad school is extremely competitive and a good amount of self selection occurs. Philosophy destined students have the highest GRE verbal and analytical writing scores of any major and the highest quantitative scores in the humanities, above some sciences.

vectorcube said:
Well, i have a B.S in mathematics of computation form ucla. Large part of my education had been taking a whole bunch of mathematics, and computer science courses.

I am interested in being a neuroscientist, but again, but i am confronted with the same kind of problem. I don ` t have a degree in neuroscience. How can i apply for graduate school in neuroscience? Do i need to get a second bachelor?In general, can i apply to to graduate school at subject A, given that i only have bachelor at subject B, such that A is not equal to B? If not, then do i need to apply for a second bachelor at subject A, and then apply for graduate school subject A?
Did you take any philosophy at all (like maybe 9 or so credits)? As long as you have that and you did well in your undergrad program, it probably doesn't matter what you did. Do well on the GRE, show you had good grades, and write a decent statement of purpose and you'll be let in.

But a master's in philosophy? Really? It's extra worthless in a practical sense. When I was going to get a JD, I figured a dual masters in philosophy might hold a little value (because of what law is), but outside of that kind of interest/fascination I can't see why it would matter to anyone.

I'd try to find a different plan like has been suggested. A computational math degree should be of some value to you. Even if your grades weren't the best. Learn a little more about how to better market the qualities you developed in your program as an undergrad.

Last edited:
If you are familiar with applied math and computer science then try getting a job in scientific computing (or perhaps an internship) to get used to the field and what is expected. I am not familiar with your program but have you considered any of the relevant fields like bioinformatics, computational physics, etc? You might need to take some more undergrad courses if you wish to pursue something in those fields (ie taking some biochem and genetics courses to be familiar with bioinformatics) but it would be much less painful than doing another four years in a field you are still unsure of.

1. Do I need a second bachelor's degree to advance in my career?

It depends on your specific career goals and industry. Some professions may require a specific bachelor's degree or advanced degree, while others may value work experience and specialized skills over additional degrees.

2. Will a second bachelor's degree make me more employable?

Again, it depends on your career goals and the industry you are interested in. In some cases, a second bachelor's degree may make you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs, but in others, employers may prioritize work experience and skills over additional degrees.

3. Can I pursue a second bachelor's degree in a different field of study?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a second bachelor's degree in a different field of study. However, you may need to fulfill certain prerequisites and meet admission requirements for the program. It is important to research and carefully consider your options before making a decision.

4. How long does it take to complete a second bachelor's degree?

The length of time it takes to complete a second bachelor's degree varies depending on the program and your previous coursework. Some programs may allow you to transfer credits from your first degree, which can shorten the time to completion. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete a second bachelor's degree.

5. Is it worth the time and money to pursue a second bachelor's degree?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and circumstances. You may want to consider the costs of tuition, living expenses, and potential loss of income during the time it takes to complete the degree. It is also important to research the job market and demand for your desired field of study to determine if the investment is worth it for you.