How do universities work - Places and attendance

In summary: in summary, if you fail a module at your university you can repeat it for sure, but if you fail multiple modules and have very poor marks you may be kicked out.
BogMonkey
I got into a chemistry course in university as a mature student and I'm blessed because I love the course and I'm doing well in it. What I'm wondering is if your in are you in for good as in if you fail an exam or module do you get to repeat for sure or can they throw you out to make room for new students? I'm in Ireland by the way. The reason I'm wondering about this is because my maths isn't the best so I'm wondering what happens if I fail the module. Do I get to repeat it?

Physics news on Phys.org
At my former school you could fail a course and get to repeat it, but if you failed too many and had very poor marks you could get kicked out (you were usually put on academic probation, which is what happened to a friend who failed 4 out of 5 courses). You should check with your school - perhaps they have information online or you can see your facility for the information - as this information differs between schools and programs.

BogMonkey said:
What I'm wondering is if your in are you in for good as in if you fail an exam or module do you get to repeat for sure or can they throw you out to make room for new students? I'm in Ireland by the way.

Doesn't your university have its academic regulations on its website or printed in its course catalog (or whatever they call it in Ireland)?

Where I teach (a college in the USA) a student can repeat a course twice (i.e. take it a total of three times). I actually once had a physics major take my second-year intro modern physics course three times, finally passing it the third time. (whew)

But this sort of rule is likely to vary from one place to another... so check your university's official sources!

Thanks for the info. Academic regulations that's the word(s) I was looking for. If I failed a module once thered be no way I'd fail it a second time because I am making progress but I find it hard to keep up with the pace of the maths class. We had a small exam already and I got 20%. Not a good start. If I took that exam again I'd get 100% though.

1. How do universities decide which students to accept?

Universities typically have an admissions process that takes into account a variety of factors, including academic performance, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. Each university may have its own specific criteria for evaluating applicants.

2. Can I attend a university without a high school diploma?

Most universities require applicants to have a high school diploma or its equivalent, such as a GED, in order to be considered for admission. However, some universities do offer alternative admissions options for students who may not have a traditional high school background.

3. How do universities determine tuition and fees?

Tuition and fees for universities are determined based on a variety of factors, including the cost of providing education and services, location, and the type of institution (public or private). Additionally, universities may also consider the financial aid and scholarship packages available to students when setting tuition rates.

4. What are the different types of universities?

There are various types of universities, including public, private, and for-profit institutions. Public universities are typically funded by the government and offer lower tuition rates for in-state students. Private universities are funded by private sources and often have higher tuition rates. For-profit universities are owned by corporations and focus on providing education for a profit.

5. How do universities support students outside of the classroom?

Universities often offer a range of support services for students, including academic advising, career counseling, mental health services, and extracurricular activities. These services are designed to help students succeed academically and personally during their time at the university.