Math Undergrad then Mech Engineering for Grad

In summary, the person is currently a math major interested in becoming an engineer. They are considering transferring to another school for an engineering degree, but are unsure if they can graduate on time as a sophomore. They are wondering if having just a graduate degree in mechanical engineering will make them as eligible for jobs as someone with both an undergraduate and graduate degree in mechanical engineering. The expert suggests speaking with admissions at other schools to see if they would accept transfer credits and possibly transferring to an engineering school to finish their degree, which would still allow them to decide if they want to pursue a graduate degree in mechanical engineering. The worst case scenario would be staying a semester or two longer, but not transferring would require at least another two years of schooling for an engineering
swim123
Hi guys, right now I am a math major interested in becoming an engineer. I thought about transferring into another school because my school does not offer an engineering degree. But then since I am a sophomore right now I do not think I can graduate on time if I do. So I thought maybe I should just finish my math degree here and then go into grad for mech engineering.

and so, I was wondering...

What will guarantee me a better job/make me more marketable?

1) Undergrad with math, then grad for mechanical engineering
2) Just Undergrad with Mechanical engineering
3) Both Undergrad and Grad mechanical engineering.

of course 1 and 3 will be the better option, but I just put up all three cases just in case all three route will lead me to the same job.

*edit*

Okay, I guess I made a simple question too complicated. I guess what I am asking is, are you as eligible to get a job with just a graduate degree in mechanical engineering as someone else who has a undergrad?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you got a graduate degree in mechanical engineering you would most likely have to take some of the classes an undergrad would have taken before being accepted into the graduate program. Maybe a years worth or so. If you have a masters in mech e then you would be a better candidate for a job than someone with just an undergrad. Getting the masters implies that you have most, if not all, of the knowledge of the material involved in the undergrad courses. A lot of masters courses will build on their undergraduate counterparts so at least some knowledge in those areas is essential.

As far as what you should do right now, well, I'll tell you what I would do. If I was in your situation and knew I wanted to work as a mechanical engineer once I graduated I would start speaking with admissions in other schools and see how many of my current classes they would accept if I was to transfer. I would then transfer to an engineering school and finish up my degree in mech e, possibly having to stay a few semesters extra. Depending on your work ethic and when some classes are offered you might be able to catch up and still graduate on time if you take enough credits. You could then decide if you want to get a masters in mech e or not.

If you transfer, worst case scenario you have to stay a semester or two later to get the mech e degree.
If you don't transfer you will have your math degree but if you want to get into the engineering field you will have to take at least another 2 years of school.

I can provide some insight into the job market for engineers. While having a degree in mechanical engineering is certainly beneficial for obtaining a job in the field, it is not the only factor that employers consider. Employers also value experience, skills, and knowledge in specific areas of engineering.

In terms of your options, it is important to consider the specific job requirements and the skills and knowledge that you will acquire with each degree. A math degree can provide a strong foundation in problem-solving and analytical thinking, which are important skills for engineers. However, a mechanical engineering degree will also provide you with specific knowledge and skills in the field of mechanical engineering.

If you choose to pursue a math degree and then a graduate degree in mechanical engineering, you will have a broad range of skills and knowledge that can make you marketable to a variety of employers. However, if you choose to solely pursue an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering, you may have a more specialized skill set that can make you stand out in certain job opportunities.

Ultimately, the most important factor in obtaining a job and being marketable is your own dedication and passion for the field of engineering. Continuously learning and developing your skills and knowledge, regardless of the path you take, will make you a strong candidate for any job in the field of mechanical engineering.

1. Why did you choose to major in math for your undergraduate degree before pursuing a graduate degree in mechanical engineering?

I have always been fascinated by math and its applications in the real world. In my undergraduate studies, I wanted to gain a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. I then chose to pursue a graduate degree in mechanical engineering because it combines my love for math with my interest in designing and creating practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. How has your math background helped you in your mechanical engineering studies?

My math background has been extremely beneficial in my mechanical engineering studies. It has provided me with a strong analytical mindset and the ability to approach complex problems with a logical and systematic approach. Additionally, many concepts in mechanical engineering, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, have direct applications in solving engineering problems.

3. Are there any specific courses or areas of math that have been particularly useful in your mechanical engineering studies?

Yes, there are several courses in math that have been particularly useful in my mechanical engineering studies. These include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. Additionally, courses in numerical analysis and optimization have also been helpful in developing my problem-solving skills for engineering applications.

4. Have you faced any challenges transitioning from math to mechanical engineering?

Yes, there have been some challenges in transitioning from math to mechanical engineering. While math provides a strong foundation for problem-solving, engineering involves applying these concepts to real-world situations, which can be more complex and multi-dimensional. Additionally, there is a learning curve in understanding and applying engineering-specific software and tools.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering a similar academic path?

My advice would be to have a strong passion for both math and engineering, as this will keep you motivated and driven throughout your studies. Additionally, make sure to stay organized and manage your time effectively to balance the workload of both fields. Seek out opportunities to apply your math knowledge to engineering projects or research, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Finally, remember that the combination of math and engineering can lead to exciting and rewarding career opportunities in a variety of industries.