Measuring Mass of DNA Using a Vibrating Cantilever

In summary, researchers have developed a method for measuring the mass of DNA molecules by attaching them to a vibrating cantilever. The cantilever, made of silicon and attached to a spring, vibrates with a specific frequency that can be measured with high precision. When DNA molecules bind to a small gold dot at the end of the cantilever, the frequency decreases by a measurable amount. By using the equation f = sqrt(M/k)/2pi, the mass of the DNA can be calculated by taking the derivative of the frequency with respect to mass. However, the accuracy of this method may be limited to two significant figures. The dimensions of the cantilever used in one experiment were 4000nm, 400nm, and
snoworskate

Homework Statement

It has recently become possible to "weigh" DNA molecules by measuring the influence of their mass on a nano-oscillator. Figure shows a thin rectangular cantilever etched out of silicon (density 2300 {\rm kg/m^3}) with a small gold dot at the end. If pulled down and released, the end of the cantilever vibrates with simple harmonic motion, moving up and down like a diving board after a jump. When bathed with DNA molecules whose ends have been modified to bind with gold, one or more molecules may attach to the gold dot. The addition of their mass causes a very slight-but measurable-decrease in the oscillation frequency. A vibrating cantilever of mass M can be modeled as a block of mass {\textstyle{1 \over 3}}\,M attached to a spring. (The factor of {\textstyle{1 \over 3}} arises from the moment of inertia of a bar pivoted at one end.) Neither the mass nor the spring constant can be determined very accurately-perhaps to only two significant figures-but the oscillation frequency can be measured with very high precision simply by counting the oscillations. In one experiment, the cantilever was initially vibrating at exactly 13 {\rm MHz}. Attachment of a DNA molecule caused the frequency to decrease by 57 {\rm Hz}.

What was the mass of the DNA?

The dimensions of the beam are 4000nm, 400nm and 100nm

Homework Equations

w = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f
f = w/2[tex]\pi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the mass of the beam to be 3.68 x 10-16 kg. I worked the f = w/2[tex]\pi[/tex] equation to get f= sqrt(M/k)/2[tex]\pi[/tex] and then f + [tex]\Delta[/tex]f = sqrt[(M+[tex]\Delta[/tex]M)/k]/2[tex]\pi[/tex].

Then I took the derivative of w = sqrt(M/3k) to get dw = 0.5w(dM/M) after simplification. I just don't know where to go with it. I know I need to set up a ratio but I just can't put it together in my head. Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Try to calculate df/dM and express the result in terms of the initial frequency and mass.

How do I do that though? I calculated df/dM from f = sqrt
(M/k)/2pi to get (1/4kpi)*sqrt(M/k)*(k/M) but I don't know where to go with this. Did I do the right thing? I know I'm missing a key piece in my understanding but I can't figure out the connection.

1. How does a vibrating cantilever measure the mass of DNA?

The vibrating cantilever measures the mass of DNA through the principle of resonant frequency. When a DNA molecule binds to the cantilever, it adds to the overall mass and causes a change in the resonant frequency, which can be measured and correlated to the mass of the DNA.

2. What is the accuracy of measuring DNA mass using a vibrating cantilever?

The accuracy of measuring DNA mass using a vibrating cantilever is highly dependent on the sensitivity and precision of the equipment used. In general, this method has been found to have a high accuracy within a range of 1-10 femtograms (10^-15 grams).

3. Can the vibrating cantilever measure the mass of individual DNA molecules?

Yes, the vibrating cantilever has the capability to measure the mass of individual DNA molecules. This is due to its high sensitivity and ability to detect small changes in mass.

4. Are there any limitations to using a vibrating cantilever to measure DNA mass?

One limitation of using a vibrating cantilever to measure DNA mass is that it requires a high level of expertise and specialized equipment. Additionally, the method may not be suitable for measuring large amounts of DNA or for highly complex DNA structures.

5. What are the potential applications of measuring DNA mass using a vibrating cantilever?

The measurement of DNA mass using a vibrating cantilever has many potential applications in the fields of biotechnology, genetics, and medicine. It can be used for studying DNA interactions, detecting mutations, and analyzing the structure and function of DNA molecules. It also has the potential to be used for early detection and diagnosis of diseases such as cancer.