Density of Object & Oil: Find Out Now!

In summary, the object has a weight of 285 N in air and 230 N in water, and 261 N in oil. Using the formula A=mgd(water), we can calculate the density of the object to be 5.18. The density of the oil can then be found by comparing its weight to that of water, resulting in a density of 0.436. It is important to note that the units for these densities are missing and may differ depending on the teacher's preference.
Leo34005

Homework Statement

An object weighs 285 N in the air. When tied to a string, connected to a balance, and immersed in water, it weighs 230 N. When it is immersed in oil, it weighs 261 N.

(a) Find the density of the object.

(b) Find the density of the oil.

Homework Equations

A=mgd(water)

The Attempt at a Solution

this weight is equal to 285-230=55N corresponding to a density =1
so the density of the body is 285/55=5.18

the weight of oil is 285-261= 24 =Mgd(oil)
compared to water d(oil)/d(water)=24/55=0.436

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct, but you should write down the units.

I believe my answer is wrong. If someone would double check it.

Leo34005 said:
I believe my answer is wrong. If someone would double check it.

I did double check it when I first posted. Your answers are right but missing units. If your teacher wanted different units then perhaps therein lies your confusion.

What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is usually expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The formula is: Density = Mass/Volume.

What is the relationship between density and oil?

Oil is a substance with a lower density than water, meaning that it is less dense and will float on top of water. The density of oil can vary depending on the type of oil, but it is generally less dense than water.

Can the density of an object change?

The density of an object can change if either the mass or volume changes. For example, if an object is compressed, its volume decreases and its density increases. However, the mass of the object remains the same.

Why is it important to know the density of an object?

The density of an object is important because it can help identify the material an object is made of. It can also be used to determine if an object will float or sink in a liquid, and it is a key factor in many scientific and engineering calculations.