Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics

In summary, Jano is interested in reading Sommerfeld Lectures on Theoretical Physics. He started with volume 1 Mechanics and is currently on the fourth chapter. He is also interested in reading them with Becko, but has to wait until he has free time in the summer.
becko
I want to read Sommerfed Lectures on Theoretical Physics. I started with vol.1 Mechanics.

Just wondering if anyone here has read any of the vols? Or perhaps wants to read them in the future?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi becko,
few months ago I discovered this course in library and I like it for its motivating character - it has many interesting comments apart from the equations and it is not too technical. I would like to read it as well, but it is hard find a motivation to do such a self study. So maybe we can go through it together? Where are you now in Mechanics? I can try to take on...

Jano

I had to put off Mechanics for a while (had to prioritize other stuff at school). But I'll take it again in about two weeks. I only had time to complete chapter 1. In the summer I will be able to go on uninterrupted. I'm determined to go through all the vols of the series (at least up to the fifth, since I haven't found the 6th). It will be great to have a partner!

I found the first chapter crystal clear. I'm convinced it will be worthwhile.

I'll PM you with my email address.

So I have started Mechanics again. I'm now on the 4th chapter and I hope I will go through to the end this time. If anyone is also reading these books, or has read them in the past, please reply to this post, or PM me. From time to time I get stuck at places and it would be very helpful to count with the assistance of someone who knows what I'm talking about when I reference a particular page or section.

And Jano L, maybe you are still interested in reading Sommerfeld?

Hi Becko,
in fact I just came home and finally have some free time. so I can spend some time with sommerfeld. I'll let you know if I find something interesting. Have fun,
Jano

1. What are the Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics?

The Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics are a series of lectures given by the renowned physicist Arnold Sommerfeld at the University of Munich in the early 20th century. These lectures cover a wide range of topics in theoretical physics, including quantum mechanics, relativity, and electromagnetic theory.

2. Who can attend the Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics?

The lectures were originally intended for advanced physics students at the University of Munich, but they have since become a popular resource for physicists and students around the world. Anyone with a strong background in physics and mathematics can benefit from attending the lectures.

3. Are the Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics still relevant today?

Yes, the lectures are still considered to be highly relevant today. Many of the concepts and theories discussed in the lectures are still used in modern physics research. The lectures also provide a valuable historical perspective on the development of theoretical physics.

4. Can I access the Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics online?

Yes, the lectures have been published in book form and are also available online. Some universities may also have recordings of the lectures available for their students to access.

5. How can I prepare for attending the Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics before attending the lectures. Familiarizing yourself with the topics and theories that will be covered can also be helpful in understanding the material presented in the lectures.