PhD Positions in Physics in USA/Canada

• Programs
  • Thread starter erenphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, it is possible to go to PhD in solar energy after MSc in nuclear and radiation physics. You'll need to find a school with a research group involved in RHIC.
erenphysics
Hello,

I am a new member of forum. Firstly, i want to say thank you everyone who contributed on the forum. i want to do my phd on physics on america or Canada. i don t have an TOFEL scores for now,but i belive,i will have a score soon. Can i find a scholarship on there before long.Which schools do you recommed for me on there (or another country).

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very common to get funded (tuition waiver and stipend) for a PhD in the US - so common that I'd say don't accept an offer that doesn't include it. We've got more than 100 schools offering a PhD in physics - we need more information to help you choose one to apply to, like what are your grades, how much research experience do you have, and what field are you interested in.

thank u eri

my research area is experimantel nuclear physics. i did my master thesis about gamma rays and have a few Scientific activities about my area. However i can work another research areas

Hello guys! Pls is it possible for one to go for PhD in solar energy after MSc in nuclear and radiation physics? Thanks.

Hi Erenphysics. If you're interested in experimental nuclear physics, I'm guessing the way to go is to find a school with a research group that's involved in RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider). RHIC is based at Brookhaven National Lab in New York, and is currently doing research on the quark-gluon plasma and other related stuff. No matter where you go, you'll likely take classes for two or three years, and then get sent out to RHIC. There's a nuclear group at my department, and all of the experimental students get sent there during the summers, and sometimes during the school year too. Therefore it makes sense to just go ahead and apply to places that are geographically close. Stony Brook might be a good place to apply.

Innocentaj, I do't know anything about solar energy. Sorry I can't help.

Thanks for your useful informations

1. What are the eligibility criteria for PhD positions in Physics in USA/Canada?

The eligibility criteria for PhD positions in Physics in USA/Canada may vary depending on the specific university or program. Generally, applicants should have a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Physics or a related field, strong academic performance, and relevant research experience. Additionally, international applicants may need to fulfill English language proficiency requirements and obtain a student visa.

2. How can I find available PhD positions in Physics in USA/Canada?

There are various ways to find available PhD positions in Physics in USA/Canada. You can directly check the websites of universities or research institutes in the USA/Canada that offer PhD programs in Physics. You can also search for international scholarship programs or consult with professors in your field of interest for potential openings.

3. How competitive are PhD positions in Physics in USA/Canada?

PhD positions in Physics in USA/Canada are highly competitive due to the high demand for qualified scientists in both countries. The competition may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, applicants with strong academic backgrounds and research experience have a higher chance of being accepted.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics in USA/Canada?

The duration of a PhD program in Physics in USA/Canada may vary from 4-6 years, depending on the specific university and research topic. The program typically includes coursework, qualifying exams, and a research project, which can take up a significant amount of time. However, the completion time can also depend on the individual's progress and research productivity.

5. Can I work while pursuing a PhD in Physics in USA/Canada?

Many universities in the USA/Canada offer teaching or research assistantships to PhD students, which provide a stipend and may cover tuition fees. These opportunities can allow students to gain teaching or research experience while pursuing their degree. However, the workload of a PhD program can be demanding, so it is essential to carefully consider any outside work commitments. International students may also have specific restrictions on working while studying, so it is crucial to check with the university and immigration regulations.