Are cheap laser pens of good quality?

In summary: What makes you thing that it is just an LED?I figure what made him think it is just an LED is the price. Was that not apparent?It's not an LED, so does anyone have any alternate opinions? I was thinking it had to do with pulse amplitude consistency or something. Thank you for your replies.In summary, the more expensive, brand name models have some attributes that make them better for certain purposes. For example, green astronomy laser pointers can be more expensive, but they are also more reliable and have a longer battery life.
wil3
Hello- On places like eBay and Amazon, one sees a lot of ultra-cheap, under $15 laser pointers in various colors. For example, my favorite green astronomy laser cost me twenty dollars from amazon last year. Contrast these prices with laser pointers from more respected brands, which seem to range in price from $100-$300 dollars. What exactly is one paying for here? Do the more expensive, brand name models have some attributes that make them better for certain purposes?

For example, when shopping for my astronomy laser I considered a $105 Orion, but I settled for a $17 Hong-Kong-sketchy model that seems to work just fine and be as bright as I need it to be. I am currently shopping for a violet or UV spectrum laser, and I am again tempted to just get something cheap.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are talking about green pointers, then I would guess the cheap ones are not lasers but LED's -- and the expensive ($100 or more) ones are indeed lasers.

If you want relatively cheap violet or uv, again I think you would need to use an LED rather than a laser.

wil3 said:
For example, when shopping for my astronomy laser I considered a $105 Orion, but I settled for a $17 Hong-Kong-sketchy [LED] model that seems to work just fine and be as bright as I need it to be. I am currently shopping for a violet or UV spectrum laser, and I am again tempted to just get something cheap.
What do you know about the LED polarization? Have you marked it on the side of your LED pencil pointer yet?

Bob S

It behaves like a laser, and it travels an equivalent distance to a laser beam. I have worked with LEDs, and so I know what they look like. What makes you thing that it is just an LED?

wil3 said:
What makes you thing that it is just an LED?
I figure what made him think it is just an LED is the price. Was that not apparent?

It's not an LED, so does anyone have any alternate opinions? I was thinking it had to do with pulse amplitude consistency or something. Thank you for your replies.

wil3 said:
It's not an LED, so does anyone have any alternate opinions? I was thinking it had to do with pulse amplitude consistency or something. Thank you for your replies.
The space in my red laser pointer "pencil" is almost completely taken up by two AAA batteries. The rest is a solid state laser diode (probably 670 nM AlGaInP used in cheap red laser pointers). See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_diode

Bob S

wil3 said:
It behaves like a laser, and it travels an equivalent distance to a laser beam. I have worked with LEDs, and so I know what they look like. What makes you thing that it is just an LED?
As DaveC said, the price you quoted. Red laser pointers simply use red diode lasers; green laser pointers are more involved. But ... a quick google search does show green laser pointers in the $20-$40 range, so it looks like my reasoning based on price was flawed.

What is the difference between cheap and expensive laser pens?

The main difference between cheap and expensive laser pens is the quality of the components used. Cheap laser pens often use lower quality materials and have less precise manufacturing processes, resulting in a lower quality and less reliable product. Expensive laser pens, on the other hand, use higher quality components and are typically more durable and reliable.

Are cheap laser pens safe to use?

The safety of a laser pen depends on its power output and the wavelength of the laser. Cheap laser pens may not have the same safety standards as more expensive ones, and may emit a higher power output or use a laser wavelength that can cause eye damage. It is important to check the specifications and safety ratings of a laser pen before purchasing.

Do cheap laser pens have the same features as expensive ones?

No, cheap laser pens often lack the advanced features found in more expensive models. This may include adjustable power settings, different laser colors, or additional safety features. While basic functions may be similar, the quality and effectiveness of these features may differ greatly between cheap and expensive laser pens.

How long do cheap laser pens typically last?

This can vary greatly depending on the quality of the laser pen and how it is used. Cheap laser pens may have a shorter lifespan due to lower quality components and less precise manufacturing. On average, a cheap laser pen may last anywhere from a few months to a year, while a more expensive one may last several years with proper use and maintenance.

Are there any advantages to purchasing a cheap laser pen?

The main advantage of purchasing a cheap laser pen is the lower cost. This can be beneficial for those on a budget or who only need a laser pen for occasional use. However, it is important to consider the potential drawbacks, such as lower quality and safety concerns, before making a purchase.

Back