Deciding Between Math/Applied Sciences & Applied Mathematics Majors

In summary, the person is considering transferring to a university and is unsure which math major to choose between Math/Applied Sciences and Applied Mathematics for their goal of going into medical research and potentially pursuing a master's degree. They are wondering if they can still get into medical research with an Applied Mathematics degree and if they should consider minoring in Biology instead. The website provided suggests that a background in chemistry, biology, or engineering may be more suitable for medical research, and suggests looking into bioinformatics or computational biology.
Vintageflow
So I am transferring to a university within a year, and I don't know which math major to choose. It is either Math/Applied Sciences or Applied Mathematics. What I want to do with my major is go into medical research, but I also want to go to grad. school and get my masters (I can not go to grad school with a math/applied science degree). Which major is better off for me in the long run? Can I Still get into medical research with an Applied Mathematics degree? Should I minor in Biology instead of just going for a math/applied science degree?

http://math.ucsd.edu/programs/undergraduate/ba_math_applied_science.php

http://math.ucsd.edu/programs/undergraduate/ba_applied_mathematics.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Medical research" is a broad term, but "Applied mathematics" doesn't seem very compatible with almost every aspect of Medical research I've ever heard of. You're going to need some kind of chemistry, biology, or engineering background to get into medical research.

look into bioinformatics or computational biology

What is the difference between a Math/Applied Sciences major and an Applied Mathematics major?

A Math/Applied Sciences major focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of mathematics, while an Applied Mathematics major focuses on the application of mathematical principles to solve real-world problems.

Which major is better for a career in research?

Both majors can lead to careers in research, but a Math/Applied Sciences major may be more suitable for those interested in theoretical research, while an Applied Mathematics major may be better for those interested in applied research.

Can I switch between these majors during my studies?

It is possible to switch between these majors, but it may depend on the specific requirements and policies of your university. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any major changes.

What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates of these majors?

Graduates of both majors can pursue careers in a variety of industries, such as finance, technology, engineering, and research. Some specific job titles may include mathematician, data analyst, actuary, or statistician.

Are there any recommended courses or electives for these majors?

Both majors typically require courses in calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. Some recommended electives may include computer programming, physics, or economics for Math/Applied Sciences majors, and courses in engineering, computer science, or data analysis for Applied Mathematics majors.