A humble question about the 2N3904 transistor

• Thread starter dip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, the conversation is discussing an individual's need for an IC with a 2N3904 transistor equivalent. They are advised to use a parametric search to find a suitable IC from manufacturers such as Fairchild, Vishay, and ST. The individual clarifies that they need a Darlington array and is directed to search for those specifically on Mouser Electronics. The conversation also touches on the potential applications for a 2003 IC, which is commonly used as a relay driver.
dip
Is there an IC that has 2N3904 transitor in it? I have to use an IC instead of transistors so I was wondering what is it's IC equivalent? :confused:

Tnx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean "IC" equivalent? The SMT equiv should be something like mmbt3904, or pzt3904. 2n3904 refers both to the case style (to-92 footprint) and the semiconductor material. If you search Fairchild, Vishey, ST, etc using the parametric option you'll probably come up with something. Or search the mmbt/pzt PN's if SMT is what you need. What package are you looking for anyway?

If you need multiple xstors in a dip type package you'll most likely have to do the parametric search using the 3904 characteristics.

Good luck.

IC = Integrated Circuit. I have to use a Darlington array in my ckt but my prof says use an IC. Geh...

Thanks anyways :)

I know "IC" mean integrated circuit; however, you needed to specify which package you needed. There are not a lot of "IC's" containing a single xstr which was why I asked.

Needing a darlington array is different than needing a 3904. Go to Mouser electronics and search for darlington array. You'll find many "ICs" for about $1.50 that will meet your requirements. Darlingtons are exceedingly common as ICs.

Ok, thanks

More importantly how the device is to be used. Switch? Amplifier? The 2003 (can't think of prefix) is a darlington switch. It is capable of a couple of hundred mA I believe. There are 7 darlington pairs on the device. It is typically used as a relay driver or similar application.

1. What is a 2N3904 transistor?

A 2N3904 transistor is a small electronic device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is a type of NPN bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that is commonly used in electronic circuits.

2. What are the characteristics of a 2N3904 transistor?

The 2N3904 transistor has a maximum current rating of 200 mA, a maximum voltage rating of 40 V, and a maximum power dissipation of 625 mW. It also has a typical gain of 100 and a low saturation voltage, making it suitable for low-power applications.

3. How is a 2N3904 transistor different from other transistors?

Compared to other transistors, the 2N3904 has a relatively low maximum current and voltage rating. However, it has a higher gain and lower saturation voltage, making it suitable for low-power amplification and switching applications.

4. What are some common uses for a 2N3904 transistor?

The 2N3904 transistor is commonly used in audio amplifiers, low-power switching circuits, and voltage regulators. It is also used in small electronic devices such as calculators, toys, and radios.

5. How do I identify a 2N3904 transistor?

A 2N3904 transistor can be identified by its three leads, typically labeled as collector (C), base (B), and emitter (E). It also has a distinctive flat side and a round side, with the flat side representing the collector. The part number "2N3904" should also be visible on the transistor's body.