Math Degree Jobs & Grad School: What's Possible?

• Math
  • Thread starter PhysicsHigh
  • Start date
In summary, there are various job opportunities available for individuals who have a bachelor's degree in math or physics. These degrees can lead to careers in fields such as engineering, physics, or mathematical biology. Additionally, individuals with a bachelor's degree in math can also pursue a PhD in fields like physics or mathematical physics. However, it is recommended to major in the field that you plan to pursue in graduate school in order to have a strong foundation. It is also possible to start with an undergraduate degree and later obtain a PhD in mathematical biology.
PhysicsHigh
What are the different jobs these degrees can get with just a bachelors. Where can they lead and what kind of PHD's can you go for? Can you major in math and go to grad school for physics or cosmology?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsHigh said:
What are the different jobs these degrees can get with just a bachelors. Where can they lead and what kind of PHD's can you go for? Can you major in math and go to grad school for physics or cosmology?

Yes. Most universities tend to accept applications from applicants that majored in the field or a related one. Applied math sounds like a good degree in my opinion. You get a taste of the pure side of math, but then get the chance to take electives that may lean more towards physics or engineering. I know someone majoring in applied math right now, and he's taking physics courses as his electives so he can keep his options open for graduate school(either math or physics or mathematical physics :tongue:).

But honestly, if you were already considering physics for graduate school, then you might as well get your B.S. in it. I would hate to get to graduate school and have to "catch up" to all the other students.

Thanks, um also what is a career in mathamatical biology like? Can you start with an undergraduate degree and get a phd in it later? Again what are some jobs for the 2 majors

PhysicsHigh said:
Thanks, um also what is a career in mathamatical biology like? Can you start with an undergraduate degree and get a phd in it later? Again what are some jobs for the 2 majors

Er.. let's not worry about this sorry. Just what I said first. Thanks

I'm also interested in this. I'm a math major (pure math) and I haven't taken many courses that use applied math, like physics or economics. So I'm also trying to think about what jobs there are that use math, and whether those options are reasonable for me, given my lack of courses other than pure math courses and courses like English literature, history, and Chinese language

What kind of jobs can I get with a math degree?

A math degree can lead to a variety of career paths, such as data analyst, actuary, mathematician, statistician, and financial analyst. These jobs can be found in various industries including technology, finance, healthcare, and government.

Do I need a graduate degree to get a job with a math degree?

While some entry-level positions may only require a bachelor's degree in math, having a graduate degree can open up more opportunities for higher-paying and advanced positions in fields such as research and academia.

What skills do I need to have for a math degree?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, a math degree also requires skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical reasoning. Proficiency in programming languages, statistics, and data analysis is also highly beneficial.

Can I pursue a math degree even if I don't excel in math?

While a strong aptitude for math is helpful in pursuing a math degree, it is not necessary to be a math genius. With hard work, dedication, and support from professors and peers, anyone can succeed in a math degree program.

What are some popular graduate programs for math majors?

Some popular graduate programs for math majors include applied mathematics, statistics, operations research, and actuarial science. These programs can lead to careers in various industries including finance, healthcare, and government.