The need for waterproofing

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Casio
Air Force member, brings up the issue of waterproofing in electronics, noting that the multi-function displays used in the Air Force were at least water resistant. He questions how much consideration is given for waterproofing in most consumer electronics, comparing his ability to swim with his watch to the vulnerability of his Logitech keyboard and Casio calculator to spills. Another user points out that items such as watches, automotive electronics, and air conditioning electronics are more likely to have moisture resistance, while cellphones and music devices may only be drip resistant. Additionally, temperature changes can cause moisture to accumulate in these devices.
mugaliens
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/05/canada.flight.diverted/index.html"

The multi-function displays we used in the Air Force were at least water resistant, so either that was one heck of a coffee spill, or it somehow worked its way into the inner electronics!

How much consideration is given for waterproofing most user electronics? I swim with my watch all the time, but if I spill something in my $79 Logitech keyboard, it's toast. Same with my $11 Casio calculator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Watches, automotive electronics, air conditioning electronics, and possibly items to be operated outside are going to be about the only items that have moisture resistance. All the cellphones, music devices, etc... may be drip resistant. However, heating and cooling through the course of a day will draw moist air in through the seams where it may condense and accumulate. Keeping these items inside or warm will drive off moisture.

Mike

1. What is the purpose of waterproofing?

The purpose of waterproofing is to protect structures, materials, or surfaces from water damage. This can include preventing leaks, mold growth, and deterioration caused by water infiltration.

2. What types of materials typically require waterproofing?

Materials that are commonly waterproofed include concrete, wood, metal, and masonry. These materials are often used in construction and are susceptible to water damage if not properly waterproofed.

3. What are the common methods of waterproofing?

The most common methods of waterproofing include the use of waterproof membranes, sealants, and coatings. These methods create a barrier between the material and water, preventing water from seeping in.

4. Why is waterproofing important in construction?

Waterproofing is important in construction because it helps to prolong the lifespan of a structure. Water damage can lead to costly repairs and compromise the structural integrity of a building, making waterproofing a crucial step in the construction process.

5. How often should waterproofing be done?

The frequency of waterproofing depends on various factors such as the type of waterproofing used, the climate, and the condition of the structure. In general, it is recommended to inspect and potentially reapply waterproofing every 3-5 years to ensure its effectiveness.