Vector field, vortex free and sources free

In summary, to determine if the given vector fields have sources or vortices, you can use vector identities and evaluate the divergences and curls of the fields. The first field, \vec{A}, can be rewritten in terms of a cross product and then evaluated using the identity \nabla \cdot (\vec{x}\times\vec{y}) = \vec{y}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{x}) - \vec{x}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{y}). The second field, \vec{B}, can be evaluated in a similar manner by using a curl identity.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must determine whether the following vector fields have sources or vortices.
1)[tex]\vec A = (\vec x )\frac{\vec a \times \vec x}{r^3}[/tex] where [tex]\vec a[/tex] is constant and [tex]r=||\vec x||[/tex].
2)[tex]\vec B (\vec x )= \frac{\vec a}{r+ \beta}[/tex] where [tex]\vec a[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex] are the same as part 1) and [tex]\beta >0[/tex].

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I must calculate whether the divergences and curls of the fields are worth 0, in which case they are free of source and free of vortex.
I've attempted only part 1) yet (I want to try out part 2 alone once I'm started with part 1).
The modulus of [tex]\vec A (\vec x )[/tex] is worth [tex]\frac{|\vec a | \sin (\theta )}{ |\vec x|^2}[/tex] and I know its direction is orthogonal to both [tex]\vec a[/tex] and [tex]\vec x[/tex].
I know how to calculate the div and curl of a field when I have an explicit expression of it but this is not the case in the exercise, hence my attempt to modify the given expression.
I'd like to know how you'd attempt the problem 1). Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write

[tex]\vec{A}(x) = \vec{a}\times\left(\frac{\vec{x}}{r^3}\right)[/tex]

and then use the vector identity [itex]\nabla \cdot (\vec{x}\times\vec{y}) = \vec{y}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{x}) - \vec{x}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{y})[/itex].

To evaluate the cross product, you can write out explicitly what the components of [itex]\vec{x}/r^3[/itex] are in terms of x, y, and z and crank out the curl.

Similarly, you should be able to look up an identity for the curl of a cross product and evaluate it the same way.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the distribution of a physical quantity, such as velocity or force, in space. It assigns a vector, which has both magnitude and direction, to every point in a given region.

What does it mean for a vector field to be vortex free?

A vortex free vector field is one in which the vectors at every point in the field point in a consistent direction and do not form a circular motion. This is also known as an irrotational or solenoidal vector field.

What is the significance of a vortex free vector field?

A vortex free vector field is important in fluid mechanics because it describes the flow of a fluid without any swirling or rotation. This is useful in understanding the behavior of fluids in various scenarios, such as in pipes or around objects.

What does it mean for a vector field to be sources free?

A sources free vector field is one in which the vectors at every point in the field have a net divergence of zero. This means that the vector field does not have any sources or sinks, and the magnitude of the vector at any point is solely determined by its direction.

What is the relationship between vortex free and sources free vector fields?

Vortex free and sources free vector fields are related by the Helmholtz decomposition theorem, which states that any vector field can be decomposed into a sum of a vortex free (irrotational) and a sources free (solenoidal) component. This theorem is often used in mathematical models and simulations to simplify the analysis of complex vector fields.