Solve Triangle Pyramid Volume: V=72cm3, h=12cm

In summary, The pyramid has a volume of 72 cm3 and a height of 12 cm. The base of the pyramid is a right isosceles triangle with an area of 18 cm2.
chawki

Homework Statement

The volume of a pyramid can be evaluated by using the equation V=1/3*A*h where h is
the height of the pyramid and A is the area of the base of the pyramid. The problem is
to design such a triangular pyramid where the volume is V = 72 cm3 and the height is
h = 12 cm. The base of the pyramid is a rectangular isosceles triangle.

Homework Equations

a) Determine the area of the base of the pyramid. Pay attention to the unit of your answer.
b) Draw a picture of the base triangle of the pyramid in a proper scale

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
V=1/3*A*h
A=72/(12/3)=18cm2

b) A = 18 = b*y
b=y
so: 18=2*b => b = 9cm

Attachments

• Volume of pyramid.JPG
    Volume of pyramid.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
chawki said:

Homework Statement

The volume of a pyramid can be evaluated by using the equation V=1/3*A*h where h is
the height of the pyramid and A is the area of the base of the pyramid. The problem is
to design such a triangular pyramid where the volume is V = 72 cm3 and the height is

Homework Equations

a) Determine the area of the base of the pyramid. Pay attention to the unit of your answer.
b) Draw a picture of the base triangle of the pyramid in a proper scale

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
V=1/3*A*h
A=72/(12/3)=18cm2

b) A = 18 = b*y
b=y
so: 18=2*b => b = 9cm

Your picture didn't come through, but I'm guessing your formula A = 18 = b*y is wrong. Remember the area of a triangle is (1/2)base * height. And even if it were correct, b = y wouldn't give you 18 = 2b, it would be 18 = b2. Two things to fix.

Well, I can see your picture and it isn't even of a triangle!

Did you simply misread the problem?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, I can see your picture and it isn't even of a triangle!

Did you simply misread the problem?

Yes i did :redface: my mistake, i thought it's a pyramid with 4 faces..

but then we have the area of a triangle that equal 18m2
18=(b*y)/2
To be able to draw that triangle we need to find the length of just one side (assuming the sides are equal) and the problem is..we don't have that

Attachments

• Volume of pyramid.JPG
    Volume of pyramid.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 451
some please give me a hint

chawki said:
Yes i did :redface: my mistake, i thought it's a pyramid with 4 faces..

but then we have the area of a triangle that equal 18m2
18=(b*y)/2
To be able to draw that triangle we need to find the length of just one side (assuming the sides are equal) and the problem is..we don't have that

chawki said:
some please give me a hint

You still haven't drawn a picture of your pyramid. When you do I think you will find what you need in my earlier post. (reply #2).

i'm not good in drawing but i have an image of it in my mind..and i can't see how i will find the length of the side of that triangle

Earlier you had that V = (1/3)Ah and you are given that V = 72 and h = 12.

So A = 3V/h = 3*72/12 = 18.

You had that a long time ago. So the area of your isosceles "rectangular" triangle is 18. I presume you know what isosceles means and I presume that "rectangular" triangle means what is usually called a right triangle. And as I pointed out in post #2, the area of a triangle is (1/2)*base* height. What exactly are you stuck on, given you have all this information?

how you know that the triangle is isosceles ? isn't suppose to be equilateral ?

chawki said:

Homework Statement

chawki said:
how you know that the triangle is isosceles ? isn't suppose to be equilateral ?

Didn't you read your own statement of the problem?

ok i must be blind :/
but still we can't find the dimension of that triangle..it's about the triangle and we need the height of the triangle, not the pyramid

chawki said:
ok i must be blind :/
but still we can't find the dimension of that triangle..it's about the triangle and we need the height of the triangle, not the pyramid

I asked you before if "rectangular" triangle means right triangle. You didn't answer that, but I assume it does. You have an isosceles right triangle and you know its area is 18. Draw a picture of it. You should be able to figure out its dimensions from the picture.

here it is...
i guess that the base of this triangle = it's height.

Attachments

• Volume of pyramid.JPG
    Volume of pyramid.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 414
Yes, and taking "s" to be the length of one of the legs, the area of the base is
[tex]\frac{1}{2}s^2= 18[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, and taking "s" to be the length of one of the legs, the area of the base is
[tex]\frac{1}{2}s^2= 18[/tex].

ahh ok..now i get it..
s2 = 36
s = 6 cm

and then we find the hypotenuse = approximately 8.5 cm

Attachments

• Volume of pyramid.JPG
    Volume of pyramid.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 409

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a triangle pyramid?

The formula for finding the volume of a triangle pyramid is V=1/3 * base area * height, where the base area is the area of the triangle base and the height is the height of the pyramid.

2. How do I find the base area of a triangle pyramid?

To find the base area of a triangle pyramid, you can use the formula A=1/2 * base * height, where the base is the length of one side of the triangle base and the height is the perpendicular height from the base to the apex of the pyramid.

3. What are the units for the volume of a triangle pyramid?

The units for the volume of a triangle pyramid are cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm^3) or cubic meters (m^3).

4. Can I use the given information to find the length of the base of the triangle pyramid?

No, the given information of V=72cm^3 and h=12cm is not enough to determine the length of the base of the triangle pyramid. You will also need to know the shape of the base (e.g. equilateral triangle, right triangle) or have additional measurements.

5. Is the volume of a triangle pyramid affected by the shape of its base?

Yes, the volume of a triangle pyramid is affected by the shape of its base. Other factors such as the height and angle of the pyramid can also affect its volume.