Definition of Manifold

In summary, a manifold is a set of points in space that has a boundary. A k-manifold in R^n of class C^r is a set M having the property that for each p in M, there is an open set V of M containing p, a set U that is open in either \mathbb{R}^k or \mathbb{H}^k, and a continuous bijection \alpha: U \rightarrow V such that: 1) \alpha is of class C^r; 2) \alpha^{-1} is continuous; and 3) D\alpha(x) has rank k for each x in U. The map \alpha is called a
JG89
I have a question about the definition of a manifold given in my analysis book. Here is the definition:

Let [itex] 0 < k \le n [/itex]. A k-manifold in [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] of class [itex] C^r [/itex] is a set [itex] M \subset \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] having the following property: For each p in M, there is an open set V of M containing p, a set U that is open in either [itex] \mathbb{R}^k [/itex] or [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex], and a continuous bijection [itex] \alpha: U \rightarrow V [/itex] such that:

1) [itex] \alpha [/itex] is of class [itex] C^r [/itex]
2) [itex] \alpha^{-1} [/itex] is continuous
3) [itex] D\alpha(x) [/itex] has rank k for each x in U

The map [itex] \alpha [/itex] is called a coordinate patch on M about p.

Note that the set [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex] is upper half-space. That is, it is the set [itex] \{ x = (x_1, ..., x_k) \in \mathbb{R}^k : x_k \ge 0 \} [/itex]

My question is, why do require that the set U at least be open in [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex]? What is so special about [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
JG89 said:
I have a question about the definition of a manifold given in my analysis book. Here is the definition:

Let [itex] 0 < k \le n [/itex]. A k-manifold in [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] of class [itex] C^r [/itex] is a set [itex] M \subset \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] having the following property: For each p in M, there is an open set V of M containing p, a set U that is open in either [itex] \mathbb{R}^k [/itex] or [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex], and a continuous bijection [itex] \alpha: U \rightarrow V [/itex] such that:

Note that the set [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex] is upper half-space. That is, it is the set [itex] \{ x = (x_1, ..., x_k) \in \mathbb{R}^k : x_k \ge 0 \} [/itex]

My question is, why do require that the set U at least be open in [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex]? What is so special about [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex]?
We don't. Your quote says "open in either [itex]\mathbb{R}^k[/itex] or [itex]\mathbb{H}^k[/itex]" (emphasis mine).

If the p is on a surface of the manifold then we have to use [itex]\mathbb{H}^k[/itex], mapping the surface of the manifold to the surface of [itex]\mathbb{H}^k[/itex], the points with [itex]x_k= 0[/itex]. If p is not on the surface, we can use [itex]\mathbb{R}^k[/itex] which, of course, does not have a surface.

JG89 said:

The upper half plane allows the manifold to have a boundary. Points that map to the x-axis on a coordinate chart are on the boundary. If the manifold has no boundary then R^n would be used instead of the half plane.

Perhaps my question wasn't worded well. Let me try again:

Suppose M is our k-manifold and [itex] p \in \partial M [/itex], that is, p is in the boundary of M. If [itex] \alpha: U \rightarrow V [/itex] is a coordinate patch on M about p, then by my definition U is open in [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex], and if x is the point in [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex] such that [itex] \alpha(x) = p [/itex] then [itex] x \in \mathbb{R}^{k-1} \times 0 [/itex]. So lower half space should work as well, right? That is, we can find a coordinate patch [itex] \alpha*: U* \rightarrow V* [/itex] such that [itex] \alpha*(x) = p [/itex] and [itex] U* [/itex] is open in lower half space. So is it just a preference amongst mathematicians that we use upper half space instead of lower half space? Or are there properties of upper half space that we require that lower half space doesn't possess?

The upper and lower half-spaces are equivalent for most intents and purposes.

JG89 said:
Perhaps my question wasn't worded well. Let me try again:

Suppose M is our k-manifold and [itex] p \in \partial M [/itex], that is, p is in the boundary of M. If [itex] \alpha: U \rightarrow V [/itex] is a coordinate patch on M about p, then by my definition U is open in [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex], and if x is the point in [itex] \mathbb{H}^k [/itex] such that [itex] \alpha(x) = p [/itex] then [itex] x \in \mathbb{R}^{k-1} \times 0 [/itex]. So lower half space should work as well, right? That is, we can find a coordinate patch [itex] \alpha*: U* \rightarrow V* [/itex] such that [itex] \alpha*(x) = p [/itex] and [itex] U* [/itex] is open in lower half space. So is it just a preference amongst mathematicians that we use upper half space instead of lower half space? Or are there properties of upper half space that we require that lower half space doesn't possess?

reread that answer I gave.

I reread it but I don't see the point that you are driving at? Based on your previous post, lower half-space should work just as I explained, no?

The "upper half plane" and "lower half plane" can be used interchangebly (or, for that matter, "left half plane" and "right half plane" or many more in higher dimensions). The point is to get a boundary which [itex]R^n[/itex] does not have.

JG89 said:
I reread it but I don't see the point that you are driving at? Based on your previous post, lower half-space should work just as I explained, no?

the x-axis provides for a boundary. Any homeomorphism from a neighborhood to a neighborhood of a point on the x-axis that lies in the lower half plane can be followed by reflection around the x-axis to get a neighborhood in the upper half plane.

So the lower half plane is a manifold with boundary.

Got'cha. Thanks for the replies guys!

1. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that describes a space that looks flat when viewed at a small scale, but may be curved when viewed at a larger scale. It can also be thought of as a surface that can be smoothly and continuously mapped onto a flat plane.

2. What are the different types of manifolds?

There are several different types of manifolds, including Euclidean manifolds, which are flat and infinite in extent; Riemannian manifolds, which have a curved metric tensor that defines distance and angle measurements; and topological manifolds, which have a continuous structure but may not have a metric defined on them.

3. How are manifolds used in science and engineering?

Manifolds are used in a wide range of scientific and engineering fields, including physics, mathematics, computer science, and robotics. They are particularly useful for describing complex systems and spaces, and are often used in modeling and simulation, optimization, and data analysis.

4. What is the difference between a manifold and a manifold learning algorithm?

A manifold refers to a mathematical concept, while a manifold learning algorithm is a computational technique used to learn and represent the structure of data that lies on or near a manifold. In other words, a manifold is a concept, while a manifold learning algorithm is a practical application of that concept.

5. Are there any real-world examples of manifolds?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of manifolds, such as the surface of a sphere, the Earth's surface, and the shape of a coffee cup. In physics, the concept of a manifold is used to describe the curvature of space-time in general relativity. In computer graphics, manifolds are used to model and render 3D surfaces and objects.