Time for a DC electric field to penetrate copper

In summary, the conversation discusses using a differential equation to estimate the time for a dc electric field to fully penetrate into a 2cm thick copper slab. The equation takes into account the change in the electric field in space and time and the boundary conditions of E(0.02)=0 and \frac{\delta E}{\delta x}=\frac{-E_o}{0.02}. The speaker is unsure how to proceed with solving the equation and is seeking assistance.
burkleyp

Homework Statement

Using the differential equation for a resistive medium [itex]\frac{\delta^{2}E}{\delta x^2}=\frac{\mu_o}{\eta}\frac{\delta E}{\delta t}[/itex]
estimate the time for a dc electric field to penetrate fully into a copper slab 2cm thick.

2. Homework Equations / information
The electric field can be zero by the time it reaches the end of the copper to minimally satisfy the time requirement, so E(0.02)=0 and [itex]\frac{\delta E}{\delta x}=\frac{-E_o}{0.02}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a loss here. The diffusion equation relates the change in the change of the magnitude of the electric field in space to the change in the electric field in time, but I'm not sure what to do with this. My instinct was to plug in a value for [itex]\frac{\delta^{2}E}{\delta x^2}[/itex] then integrate and solve for t, but I am not sure what value I should substitute.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also not sure if I should substitute the boundary conditions of E(0.02)=0 and \frac{\delta E}{\delta x}=\frac{-E_o}{0.02}. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. How does an electric field penetrate copper?

An electric field penetrates copper by inducing a flow of electrons within the copper atoms, creating an electrical current. As the electric field passes through the copper, it causes the electrons to move in a specific direction, leading to the penetration of the field.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a DC electric field to penetrate copper?

The time it takes for a DC electric field to penetrate copper can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the thickness of the copper material, and the conductivity of the copper. Additionally, the presence of any impurities or defects in the copper can also impact the penetration time.

3. How long does it typically take for an electric field to penetrate copper?

The time it takes for an electric field to penetrate copper can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, in general, it only takes a fraction of a second for an electric field to penetrate a thin layer of copper. For thicker layers, it may take a few seconds or more.

4. Can the penetration time be reduced?

Yes, the penetration time can be reduced by increasing the strength of the electric field, using a thinner copper material, or using a copper material with higher conductivity. Additionally, minimizing impurities and defects in the copper can also help reduce the penetration time.

5. Why is the penetration of an electric field important in copper?

The penetration of an electric field in copper is important because it allows for the flow of electricity through the material. Copper is commonly used in electrical wiring and other applications where the transmission of electricity is necessary. Understanding how electric fields penetrate copper is crucial in ensuring the efficiency and functionality of these applications.