Muscle memory or normal memory?

In summary, the conversation discusses muscle memory and the difference between it and normal memory/learning. Examples are given of actions that are performed without thinking, such as closing a sliding door or driving without constantly checking the speedometer. The speaker also brings up the concept of muscle memory being affected by lack of visual information, as seen in trying to undress in the dark. The term "muscle memory" is then questioned and it is suggested that the concept is not widely recognized in scientific studies of memory. The term "Procedural Memory" is proposed as an alternative.
narrator
A lot of things we do, are done seemingly without thinking. Where is the line between muscle memory and normal memory/learning? And are there other things at play?

A few examples:

One of the doors in my house is a sliding door. I don't usually close it all the way with my hand, instead giving it a shove and it always slows to a soft tap as it hits the end.

When driving, I look at the speed signs but not often at the speedo. It's like my foot knows where it should be for the given speed, slope etc.

Walking and tossing something into a bin (a coordination of 2 velocities), when doing it without thinking, it always goes in.

I'm sure you could think of others of the like, but one other thing has me curious. When the lights go out, muscle memory ain't so good. Try undressing for bed in the dark. Is it that muscle memory still requires visual information?

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "muscle memory" isn't used in serious studies of memory. It's kind of a pop/new age concept, I believe. The thing you're talking about is probably what's called Procedural Memory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_memory

1. What is muscle memory and how does it differ from normal memory?

Muscle memory is a type of procedural memory that allows our muscles to perform certain tasks without conscious thought. It is typically associated with physical movements and skills, such as riding a bike or playing an instrument. Normal memory, on the other hand, refers to the ability to store and retrieve information, thoughts, and experiences.

2. How does muscle memory develop?

Muscle memory develops through repeated practice and reinforcement of a specific physical movement. This helps to strengthen the neural pathways in the brain and improve the efficiency of the muscles involved in the movement.

3. Can muscle memory be applied to other areas besides physical movements?

Yes, muscle memory can also be applied to non-physical tasks, such as typing on a keyboard or driving a car. These activities also rely on the formation and strengthening of neural pathways in the brain.

4. Is muscle memory permanent?

While muscle memory can be long-lasting, it is not necessarily permanent. If a skill or movement is not practiced for a long period of time, the neural pathways associated with it can weaken and the muscle memory can fade. However, with practice, it can be re-established.

5. Can muscle memory be improved?

Yes, muscle memory can be improved through deliberate practice and repetition. By consistently practicing a specific movement, the neural pathways will become more efficient, leading to improved muscle memory.