Induced EMF through a coil How/Why?

In summary, the discussion is about the phenomenon of inducing a current when moving a magnet through a coil and how it relates to the equation F = qv x B. The main argument is that the charged particles in the coil move relative to the magnetic field, causing them to experience a force and thus inducing a current. The concept of edge effects is brought up, but it is clarified that they are not involved in this observation. The conversation also mentions the skipping wire experiment as a way to demonstrate this phenomenon.
MickOtto

Homework Statement

In a lab I passed a magnet through a coil and measured the voltage.

I need/want to know why when moving a magnet through a coil you induce a current. I don't necessarily need a direct answer - I more just want to know if my argument holds and where to look if I'm completely off the mark. Note I am only dealing with classical physics.

I'm pretty ok with data. I managed to measure within the error bound what I was trying to.

Homework Equations

F = qv x B

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, my theory relies mainly on the equation F = qv x B. I argue (in more detail) that as you pass a magnet through a coil, charged particles in the coil move with a velocity relative to the magnetic field. The edge effects of the magnetic field cause the charged particles to move in direction of the right hand rule, which induces a current and sets up a Voltage which is what I measured.

If this works then I'm happy with the rest of my theory. Due to a strange Summer Session timetable and me going on holidays last week I haven't actually learned much about magnetic fields and we will be starting induction tomorrow. I hate to put it to the internet for help but I've got no where else, sorry.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, F = qvB says a charge moving relative to a perpendicular magnetic field will experience a force proportional to v and B. No edge effect involved, though.

Perhaps it is instructive to realize that this is a basic observation. No one derived it from anything; this was one of the observational facts that led to the formulas later on.

Hmm, whenever I do my right hand rule I end up with the 0 for the normal magnetic field. Maybe I have a different idea of what edge effects are..

Thanks for your help. Yes, I know it's not derived. This part is just me trying to explain what is happening. My derivations for other parts of the lab I'm happy with.

Have you done the skipping wire experiment? Two people swing a wire around like a skipping rope. The wire is swinging through the Earth's magnetic field (which has no edge, at least near the wire) and you can observe the current if you connect it to a Galvanometer (or voltage if connected to a sensitive voltmeter). The current and voltage do not depend on any edge effect.

Your argument is on the right track. When a magnet is moved through a coil, it creates a changing magnetic field around the coil. According to Faraday's law of induction, a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, which in turn will cause a current to flow in the coil. This is because the moving magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particles in the coil, causing them to move and create a current. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction, and it is the basis for many practical applications such as generators and transformers. As for the right hand rule, it is used to determine the direction of the induced current in the coil. I would recommend studying the concept of electromagnetic induction and Faraday's law in more detail to fully understand the process.

What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is a voltage that is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can occur through a coil of wire when the magnetic flux through the coil changes over time.

How is induced EMF created in a coil?

When a coil of wire is exposed to a changing magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the coil changes. This change in flux induces a voltage in the coil, creating an electric current. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF in a coil?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by the rate at which the magnetic flux changes through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field. A larger rate of change or a stronger magnetic field will result in a larger induced EMF.

Why is induced EMF important?

Induced EMF is important because it allows us to generate electricity in power plants, motors, and generators. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of many electronic devices, such as transformers and inductors.

How can induced EMF be used in practical applications?

Induced EMF can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as power generation, electric motors, and transformers. It is also used in electronics, such as inductors, to create a magnetic field that can store and release energy. Induced EMF is also the basis for many technologies, such as wireless charging and electromagnetic propulsion.