What happens to physics majors who couldn't make it grad school?

In summary: In my graduating class we had teachers, scientists, a lawyer, a doctor, a technical writer, salespeople, military officers, a politician, several programmers, a banker, and several others.In summary, there is a common assumption that a physics degree leads to a career in academia and those who do not pursue graduate school have somehow failed. However, a degree in physics is an academic discipline and there are a wide variety of career options available for graduates. These include high paying jobs in defense or finance, industry positions, and science communication. It is important to recognize that success in these fields does not solely depend on GPA or research experience.
-Dragoon-
Either because they had a bad GPA, little research experience, bad GRE, or a combination of the three? I imagine only a fraction of physics grads end up making it to graduate school, and aside from those who were planning to be high school physics teachers, where do the rest end up? Do most of them end up switching fields due to having no luck in finding employment, which may be due to their low GPA or little to no research experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've seen? High paying jobs in defense or finance. Some end up in industry. A small fraction end up as science communicators of some description.

e.bar.goum said:
From what I've seen? High paying jobs in defense or finance. Some end up in industry. A small fraction end up as science communicators of some description.

Those tend to be the types that probably did have good enough credentials (high GPA) to get into graduate school, anyways. I'm asking about those that weren't good enough to make it into graduate school.

There seem to be all sorts of unwarranted assumptions in this. One is that the "normal" path for a physics grad is to go to grad school, and those that don't have somehow done something wrong. (And frankly, that's a little offensive - that someone who made a different choice in life couldn't hack it) Another is that a degree in physics is somehow a pre-professional degree like engineering or nursing. It's not - it's an academic discipline. Most people graduating from college end up going into business, and usually not doing exactly what they majored in. Businesses do not hire many historians or poets.

If you stick "jobs with a physics degree" in Google, you get 15 million hits. In my graduating class we had teachers, scientists, a lawyer, a doctor, a technical writer, salespeople, military officers, a politician, several programmers, a banker, and several others.

Oh, and like in any other course of study, people who do poorly discover they have fewer options at the end of it than people who do well.

Vanadium 50 said:
There seem to be all sorts of unwarranted assumptions in this. One is that the "normal" path for a physics grad is to go to grad school, and those that don't have somehow done something wrong. (And frankly, that's a little offensive - that someone who made a different choice in life couldn't hack it) Another is that a degree in physics is somehow a pre-professional degree like engineering or nursing. It's not - it's an academic discipline. Most people graduating from college end up going into business, and usually not doing exactly what they majored in. Businesses do not hire many historians or poets.

If you stick "jobs with a physics degree" in Google, you get 15 million hits. In my graduating class we had teachers, scientists, a lawyer, a doctor, a technical writer, salespeople, military officers, a politician, several programmers, a banker, and several others.

Oh, and like in any other course of study, people who do poorly discover they have fewer options at the end of it than people who do well.

Very true. When you consider that a PhD is like an apprenticeship for academia, it makes very little sense that going to grad school is a "default" option, like it appears to be on these boards (perhaps a selection effect?). Indeed, most of the people in my degree aren't planning on becoming academics.

Vanadium 50 said:

Engineering is also an academic discipline. A pre-professional degree would be something like pre-med.

If you prefer "professional" for engineers (and nurses) because the bachelors is the common terminal degree I am fine with that, but it doesn't change the point.

CaptainHowdy1 said:
Engineering is also an academic discipline. A pre-professional degree would be something like pre-med.

There are degrees that prepare students for a very narrowly-defined career path. These degrees include things like Forestry, Accounting, Nursing, Library Science, or Engineering.

I interpreted what Vanadium said as meaning, a BS in physics is not that kind of degree. Btw, I wish someone has explained that to me when I was deciding what to major in -- it's very, very wise advice.

All I just wanted to know is what kind of options do physics grads who do not end up going to graduate school have and what kind of industries they usually work in (I've heard engineering does not take well to physics grads).

Like I said, if you stick "jobs with a physics degree" in Google, you get 15 million hits.

1. What career options are available for physics majors who couldn't make it to grad school?

There are many career options available for physics majors who couldn't make it to grad school. Some common paths include working in industry, such as in research and development, data analysis, or engineering. Other options include teaching at the high school or community college level, pursuing a career in science communication, or working for government agencies.

2. Will not going to grad school hinder my chances of having a successful career in physics?

No, not going to grad school does not necessarily hinder your chances of having a successful career in physics. While a graduate degree can open up more opportunities, there are still many successful physicists who only hold an undergraduate degree. It is important to gain experience and skills through internships, research projects, and other opportunities to make yourself a competitive candidate for jobs in the field.

3. How can I continue to pursue my passion for physics if I am not able to attend grad school?

There are many ways to continue pursuing your passion for physics outside of grad school. You can join local physics clubs or organizations, attend conferences and workshops, and participate in online forums and discussions. You can also continue reading and studying on your own, and look for opportunities to collaborate with other physicists or conduct independent research projects.

4. Is it common for physics majors to not make it to grad school?

While it is common for some physics majors to not make it to grad school, there is no definitive data on the exact percentage. It is important to remember that not everyone chooses to pursue graduate studies, and there are many successful careers in physics that do not require a graduate degree.

5. What skills can I gain from studying physics that will still be valuable in other industries?

Studying physics can provide valuable skills that are applicable in many industries. These include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. These skills are highly sought after in fields such as finance, engineering, and technology, making physics majors desirable candidates for a wide range of careers.