Day of the Week Puzzle: Solving with Modular (Clock) Arithmetic

• Thread starter Maw615
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the question is asking which day of the week will be 4 days after Sunday, if it is repeated 1000 times. The solution involves using Modular (Clock) Arithmetic, and the conversation provides a helpful pattern to solve the problem. The answer is that it will be 4 days after Sunday.
Maw615
I have this question and you need to use Modular (Clock) Arithmetic to solve it. If there is any work I need to know that. If you don't know the answer, is there anyway you can just tell me the process of how to do it? Thank you very, very much! Here is the problem:

What day of the week will 4^1000 days from a Sunday?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered that the week always repeats itself after seven days. Seven days after Sunday it's Sunday again, also after 7000000000 days. Consequently 700000000000000002 days from a Sunday it will be Tuesday. Would that help?

Well after looking at this, I noticed a pattern. When you square 4 the first time, the remainder of that number divided by 7 is 2. when you cube 4 the remainder is 1. When you put it to the 4th the remainder is 4, then this pattern repeats. So then since it is to the 1000, it would be 4 days after sunday.

Last edited:
Thank you very, very much for your help! :smile:

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a type of arithmetic that focuses on the remainder when dividing two numbers. It is often used in cryptography and computer science.

2. How is modular arithmetic different from regular arithmetic?

In regular arithmetic, when we divide two numbers, we get a quotient and a remainder. In modular arithmetic, we only focus on the remainder and ignore the quotient.

3. What are the basic operations in modular arithmetic?

The basic operations in modular arithmetic are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, the rules for these operations are slightly different compared to regular arithmetic.

4. How is modular arithmetic used in real life?

Modular arithmetic has many practical applications, such as in cryptography, computer science, and coding. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

5. What is the purpose of modular arithmetic?

The purpose of modular arithmetic is to find patterns and relationships between numbers. It is also used to simplify calculations and solve complex problems in various fields.