Equivalence relation and equivalence class

In summary, we have two relations defined on the integers Z: relation 1 where x~y if 3x^2 - y^2 is divisible by 2, and relation 2 where x~y if 3x^2 - y^2 ≥ 0. Relation 1 satisfies all three properties of an equivalence relation (reflexive, symmetric, and transitive), while relation 2 only satisfies reflexivity. For relation 1, we can show that [3] = {2k+1 : k ∈ Z}, which means that all odd numbers are equivalent to 3 under this relation. To find the set [3], we can solve the equation 3x^2 - y^2 = 0
foreverdream
i have two relations given to me which are both defined on the integers Z by

relation 1: x~y if 3x^2 -y^2 is divisibale by 2

and relation 2: x~y if 3x^2 -y^2 ≥0

I have used three properties to figure out that relation 1 is eqivalence relation as it stands for all three properties i.e. reflexive, symmetric and transitive where as relation 2 is not equivalence as its not symmetric

If this is correct- which I think it is. I have no idea what to do with second part
which is:
I have for relation 1: x~y if 3x^2 -y^2 is divisibale by 2 ( which is equivaleance), Show that :
[3]={2k+1:k # Z} # means belongs to

i would appreciate detail explanation and perhaps similar examples or show me how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
[3] is the set of all numbers that are equivalent to 3 under this equivalence relation.

Since x~ y if and only if [itex]3x^2- y^2[/itex] is divisible by 2, y is equivalent to 3 if and only if [itex]3(3^2)- y^2[/itex] is divisible by 2. That is, if and only if [itex]27- y^2= 2n[/itex] for some integer n. That, in turn, gives [itex]y^2= 27- 2n[/itex]. Now, n=1, that is 25 so y= 5 is in that set. [itex]27- 2n= y^2[/itex] is the same as 2n= 27- y^2. 27- y^2 is even if and only if [itex]y^2[/itex] is odd- if and only if y is odd. For example, if y= 7, [itex]27- 49= -22= 2(-11)[/itex] so [itex]3(3^2)- 7^2= -22[/itex] is divisible by 2. Every odd integer is equivalent to 3. Since equivalence classes "partion" the entire set, we then need to look at even numbers if y is equivalent to 3, then [itex]3(4)- y^2= 2n[/itex] so [itex]y^2= 12- 2n[/itex]. What integers, y, satisfy that?

I understand this but my definition is [3] = {2k+1:k €Z} so what do I do with +1

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between elements of a set. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that every element in the set is related to itself, the relation is bidirectional, and if two elements are related to each other, then any element related to one is also related to the other.

2. What is an equivalence class?

An equivalence class is a subset of a set that contains all elements related to each other through an equivalence relation. In other words, it is a group of elements that are considered to be equivalent to each other under the given relation.

3. How do you determine if a relation is an equivalence relation?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. If all three properties are satisfied, then the relation is an equivalence relation.

4. Can you give an example of an equivalence relation?

Yes, the relation "is equal to" is an equivalence relation. It is reflexive (a = a), symmetric (if a = b, then b = a), and transitive (if a = b and b = c, then a = c). Another example is the relation "is congruent to" for geometric shapes.

5. What is the importance of equivalence relation and equivalence class in mathematics?

Equivalence relation and equivalence class are important concepts in mathematics because they allow us to group elements that share certain characteristics and treat them as a single entity. This simplifies mathematical operations and proofs. They are also used in fields such as algebra, topology, and set theory.