Calculating Potential Energy of a Bow + Projectile calculations

In summary: The first step is to find the value of k, which can be obtained from the slope of the Force vs. Displacement graph. To find the initial velocity of the bow, the formula u=xt can be used, with t being derived from the vertical displacement and the constant acceleration due to gravity. The horizontal displacement can be used to calculate the initial velocity and then the kinetic energy of the bow.
xxshabsxx

Homework Statement

I have a physics lad research that's due tomorrow, the overall process is to work out how much potential energy will be stored in a bow, and the efficiency of the bow.

First of all, I have a graph, with the plots Force Vs. Displacement (of a weight 'm' on a string). We are not given 'k', so how would I work out the potential energy of the bow without it?

Secondly, we are to work out the initial velocity of a bow (and therefore working out the kinetic energy) when fired at an angle of 45 Degrees. We are only given the mass of the arrow (6.5g), the horizontal displacement (1.85m) and the vertical displacement (0.65cm).

If I used the formula u=x/t, how would I find 't' given only the things above?

Homework Equations

PE=1/2kv^2
KE=1/2mv^2
u=xt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got a lot of working out on page, but none of it helps. I'm use completely lost on what to do.

I'm not that great of physics, so try and keep it as uncomplicated as you can.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you must be knowing about the formula F= k*x, so we have k=F/x.
in case of the plot with you, the ratio F/x is the slope of the straight line of the plot.
so take any force and corresponding displacement (if the straight line passes through 0 ) and get k as above.
then, let v be the initial velocity then, the vertical velocity will be v*sin(45) , this vertical velocity will be 0 at the highest point so from v=u + at, we have
0=v*sin(45) - gt => t=v*sin(45)/g
now we have for horizontal displacement, with initial velocity v*cos(45),
x= ut => 1.85=v2/2g
so v2 = 1.85*2g
and then you can get K.E.
Zubeen

1. How do you calculate the potential energy of a bow and projectile?

The potential energy of a bow and projectile can be calculated by using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the projectile, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the projectile above the ground.

2. What is the role of the bow in calculating potential energy?

The bow plays a crucial role in calculating potential energy as it provides the force required to launch the projectile. The draw weight of the bow determines how much potential energy can be stored in the bow before releasing the projectile.

3. How does the mass of the projectile affect potential energy?

The mass of the projectile directly affects the potential energy as it is one of the variables in the formula. The higher the mass of the projectile, the higher the potential energy.

4. Can potential energy be negative in a bow and projectile system?

No, potential energy cannot be negative in a bow and projectile system. It is always a positive value as long as the projectile is above the ground. If the projectile falls to the ground, the potential energy would be converted into kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating potential energy in a bow and projectile system?

Calculating potential energy in a bow and projectile system is important in archery, hunting, and other forms of projectile launching. It also has applications in engineering, such as in designing catapults and slingshots.